Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 need some advice on bedded deer >

need some advice on bedded deer

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need some advice on bedded deer

Old 11-13-2006, 06:47 AM

Default need some advice on bedded deer

Here is the problem. I have this favorite hunting spot on my neighbors property. The deer have decided to make a bedding spot right near where I walk a path to this spot in the mornings. I have kicked out countless deer from this spot every morning during bow season. Should I continue to hunt this area or find a different way to this spot that I really like to sit and hunt? I have tried walking to this spot all different hours of the day and nothing helps. I do not want to push these deer to anyone else hunting saturday morning.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Default RE: need some advice on bedded deer

Play the wind and find a differnt way in if you can . With the Rut look for the does and you'll find the bucks. Keep at it.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: need some advice on bedded deer

You are realizing one of the most important rules on successful deer hunting.

Now that you know you are bumping deer there, is there a chance that you can find a different route that will get you in safely, with little disturbance, even if it means a longer walk?

Many people make the mistake of taking the easiest route in, regardless. That costs people more than they think.

If there's no possible way (which I have encountered once or twice in my lifetime) I would do a crash scouting project from afar or as low-impact as possible on finding where the escape routes are from that area. I'd set up near or even on one of them for opener depending on the situation.

If someone doesn't head in there and bump them, chances are you might not a get a shot at ones already in the bedding area as they'll hunker down and wait it out. However, the big benefit there is that escape route works both ways! If no hunter bumps the area, count on deer not already in the beddinglocation taking those escape routes IN to that spot.

If someone bumps it, you've got the escape route covered for those deer in the area that would be taking it to leave. Essentially, it's preparation for both scenarios.

Or, you could always send in a cougar to get themSorry, I couldn't resist...