HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need some advice on bedded deer
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Phade
Typical Buck

Default RE: need some advice on bedded deer

You are realizing one of the most important rules on successful deer hunting.

Now that you know you are bumping deer there, is there a chance that you can find a different route that will get you in safely, with little disturbance, even if it means a longer walk?

Many people make the mistake of taking the easiest route in, regardless. That costs people more than they think.

If there's no possible way (which I have encountered once or twice in my lifetime) I would do a crash scouting project from afar or as low-impact as possible on finding where the escape routes are from that area. I'd set up near or even on one of them for opener depending on the situation.

If someone doesn't head in there and bump them, chances are you might not a get a shot at ones already in the bedding area as they'll hunker down and wait it out. However, the big benefit there is that escape route works both ways! If no hunter bumps the area, count on deer not already in the beddinglocation taking those escape routes IN to that spot.

If someone bumps it, you've got the escape route covered for those deer in the area that would be taking it to leave. Essentially, it's preparation for both scenarios.

Or, you could always send in a cougar to get themSorry, I couldn't resist...