Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bedded down deer.

Old 12-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default bedded down deer.

Would you shoot a bedded down deer. Why or why not?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bedded down deer.

Personally, I don' t see myself doing so. Depending on the angle, getting a good, clean shot could be a problem. Plus it seems kind of unsporting to me, in a way. I would appreciate the challenge of killing a deer on the move much more than shooting a bedded one.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:19 AM

It would depend, but I agree a lot with Aught six, it would depend on the situation, but I stilldoubt that I would. I shot a pheasant this past fall that the dog had injured after my uncle shot it, because it was trying to run, but couldn' t, and I felt terrible shooting it on the ground, just ain' t the same, but that' s just me.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:19 AM

without hesitation
Old 12-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Assuming I had a good shot, I would definitely do it. I have not yet had the opportunity, but where I hunt they usually bed down in some pretty thick pine. So far I have not been able to sneak up to one that was bedded down. It is a pretty big challenge and requires more skill than I have developed to date.
When it is raining or windy I like to try this technique, since they are not moving as much anyway. I hunt public land where it is difficult to find them in the open.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I' m good enough to stalk in on a bedded deer and shoot it I' ll do it. Wait I have done it. Didn' t find it unsporting I had to get about 30 yards from it with out knowing I was there.

We got high winds right now and I' m headed out to work a bedding area with my shotgun, let you know what happens.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:28 AM

Sure would
Old 12-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

well let me further my question. This is the way I was thinking when I asked. You' re in your stand overlooking some swail (not too tall). It turns light and you notice a deer bedding down out in front of you. What would you do?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:31 AM

well what else bust his A^%$, that is what you are there for isnt it
Old 12-01-2003, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Sharpen up the skining knife.

Quick Reply: bedded down deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.