Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Never hunted.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Never hunted.

[8D] Hey i'm 11 years old and I dont know what to hunt ,i'll be using a 20 gauge o r 28 gauge.I want to hunt whitetail deer,duck,geese,and maybe turkey.I have one pair of cammo pants, a jacket, gloves, and and a hat. I'm going to Bass Pro this weekend,so...............what should i get? Thanks for telling me whayever you have. Thank you.What should I hunt?

Old 11-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Never hunted.

hey maskman!! sounds like you're pretty enthusiastic about hunting!!! Thats awesome. All i can tell you is find somebody you know who already hunts and tag along with them and hunt whatever they do. Give everything a shot, because you won't know what you like to hunt until you try it. Who knows, maybe you'll like all of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:40 PM

Hey....... welcome to hunting! Who do you have to take you out?? Is it your Dad, or another family member? You will probably have to hunt what they are, as 11 year olds can't hunt with a firearm by themselves in most states.
Did you take hunters saftey yet? Do it......... it will teach you a lot about guns, hunting, using maps and compass, and how to be safe in the woods.
All of those things you mentioned are lot's of fun to hunt........ but you may not like them as much at first. You have to be REAL still and quiet for all of those animals. Deer and turkey for sure!
If I were you, I would start out with some small game hunting and see how much you like it. If you get good at rabbits and squirrels, you can hunt almost anything!
The 20 ga shotgun is a good all around gun for you. You can hunt all kinds of small game with it, and waterfowl, deer (slugs will be best) and turkeys it will work just fine.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most things are fun to hunt maskman, as long as its legal, and done safely, the best part is getting out there with family and friends!

Good luck, and post pictures when you get something.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the board, and to hunting MM08!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:05 PM

Welcome to the sport of hunting! You'll enjoy yourself. I'd hunt whatever is in season in your area.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hi maskman08

Welcome to the world of hunting , your gonna love it but for safty sake I hope you go thru a Hunters Safty Program and learn to be responable with your firearm and archery for that matter.
Always check your equipment as for keeping them clean and in good condition.
Read everything you can on what your hunting for and watch some DVD's or videos , learn as much as you can .
What ever your hunting whitetaile , turkey , small game or ducks and geese if it involes shooting be careful.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the world of hunting, the first thing you need to do as stated before is saftey. A safe hunter is a good hunter. Keeping your gun clean is very important and here you need an adult to take you hunting. It is also important to study up on the game you plan to hunt as well as knowing how to take care of game you shot. Ask questions on hunting at school with other classmates that hunt to may be of help to you. Most of becarefull and Good Luck.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to hunting.

For deerhunting with a smooth-boreshotgun, you will need rifled slugs.
Because the bore (the inside of the barrel) of your shotgun will be smooth.