Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 never hunted before... >

never hunted before...

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

never hunted before...

Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 PM

Default never hunted before...

Ive never been hunting before, but I've always liked it and wanted to go. I'm 14 now and I guess if that if I'm gonna get into it I might as well do it soon. Aside from the obvious things like a gun, what do I need? I'm interested in deer hunting specifically. How hard would it be for a 14 year old to get a gun, liscence, etc..?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: never hunted before...

first off it depends on the state you reside in! so first question what sate are you in? second question, do you know anyone who hunts deer? the gun that you will need depends on what state you are in so i can be more help after i get that answer! then you the type of clothing you will need depends on the state you are in. (do you see the pattern yet)

any questions ya got feel free to PM me anytime i will do my best to help ya out. since i basically live on this site!

OH YA AND WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres so much buddy. You don't need a license until you are 16, im pretty sure. Thats how it is in SC. Depending on your size, I would buy/borrow a .243 or a .270. Since your 14, I'd use a gun with a little less recoil unless you are a big kid. Savage arms has great rifles for a great value/cost. Look into it. (Or you could get a bow). Also, get camo that mimics your environment. I wouldn't recommend getting duck camo like Max-4 when your hunting spring turkey. Max-4 is a mixture of marsh grasses, and turkey camo is primarily a woodsie green camo. Where do you live: North, South, West? Buy camo that will keep you comfortable and is convenient. If you hunt the Southeast, its going to be a little warmer, so don't buy a brand like ArticShield, which is made for extreme cold. If I wanted to tell you everything, I'd never stop typing. Look into joining a local hunting club, and talk to other people that hunt. The only way you're going to learn is through experience.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:43 PM

I live in Maryland. And yes I guess I'm a semi-big kid. Just to give you an idea- most kids in my class can bench like 115-125, the most I've ever put up is 150. Whether that helps at all for using guns idk...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

chris is on the right track with ya but as far as the guns are concerned i will have to look up weather you are allowed to use rifles in Maryland, and when there gun season is, and that will help you know on how warm of gear you will need. my money is some HEAVY AND WARM stuff! i will look into it for ya
Old 02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah. Well, you could handle a .30-06. The only thing I can say for the gun matter is, get out there and shoot different calibers. The .270 is flatter shooting than the .30-06, but is not as powerful as the .30-06. The .243 is a great deer caliber, and has less recoil than both the .270 and .30-06. It just depends on what you'd prefer. There are so many calibers out there, but these are the three most widely used calbiers for deer sized game. You could get a .308, with recoil similar to a .270 and a heavy bullet to battle through brush. A 30-30 is a solidbrush bullet, but isn't great for shots over 200 yards. Again, just get out there and experience it. Go to local gun shops and talk to some veteran hunters that hang there.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 PM

i will look into it for ya

ok thanks, but don't waste to much time, I dont even know if I can do it yet. I figure I might have some trouble convincing my mom to let me take it up, but I would like to have a general idea about stuff before I ask her.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

Ah. Well, you could handle a .30-06. The only thing I can say for the gun matter is, get out there and shoot different calibers. The .270 is flatter shooting than the .30-06, but is not as powerful as the .30-06. The .243 is a great deer caliber, and has less recoil than both the .270 and .30-06. It just depends on what you'd prefer. There are so many calibers out there, but these are the three most widely used calbiers for deer sized game. You could get a .308, with recoil similar to a .270 and a heavy bullet to battle through brush. A 30-30 is a solidbrush bullet, but isn't great for shots over 200 yards. Again, just get out there and experience it. Go to local gun shops and talk to some veteran hunters that hang there.
i totally agree with everything your saying! one small comment though! for a starter to SHOOTING and HUNTING in general probably doesnt need to be shooting over a hundered yards. helps to ensure a good clean kill and to not lower his confidence if he misses, thats why i was thinking a shotgun might be best if Maryland law allows it. it has plenty of pounch but lacks the range of a rifle, but like i said i dont see the need for a beginer shooting over a hundered yards anyway!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andy da animal

chris is on the right track with ya but as far as the guns are concerned i will have to look up weather you are allowed to use rifles in Maryland, and when there gun season is, and that will help you know on how warm of gear you will need. my money is some HEAVY AND WARM stuff! i will look into it for ya
Right. I'm not sure if there is a gun season in Maryland, if there is one, I'm not sure how long it lasts. Get your state Rules and Regulations Book or call the DNR and check. Like Andy said, you'll want to get something warm for Maryland. You don't know how many people I know that have gone up north and hunted, and have been completely underdressed for that environment. "I brought the clothes that I wear in SC to Alberta, Canada. I froze."
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: andy da animal

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

i totally agree with everything your saying! one small comment though! for a starter to SHOOTING and HUNTING in general probably doesnt need to be shooting over a hundered yards. helps to ensure a good clean kill and to not lower his confidence if he misses, thats why i was thinking a shotgun might be best if Maryland law allows it. it has plenty of pounch but lacks the range of a rifle, but like i said i dont see the need for a beginer shooting over a hundered yards anyway!
Not in all cases. All it takes is practice. I've taken plenty of new hunters to the woods, and more than half of them have taken deer from over 200 yards. I just take them out to the range a few days in a row and let them practice. If a new hunter wanted to start mule deer hunting in the hills of Colorado, he is most likely going to be taking shots at 250+ yards.

Quick Reply: never hunted before...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.