Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wanted!! Any ideas

Old 11-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Wanted!! Any ideas

I make my own climber stand and as you can see from the picture, it's not complex at all. You basically face the tree while climbing, bear hug the tree and pull yourself up. Stand up grab the tree a little higher and pull yourself up again. Think of a catapiller climbingup the side of a tree, but with a tree stand strapped to his feet. I usually get about 20ft high give or take 3 ft. Problem is I am getting older and can't quit pull myself up as easly as I used too. Any body know of a place that makes assist for climbers or have any suggestions on what I might use to help pull myself up while climbing? I really love this stand it's very portable and sturdy, so buying a new stand is not an option for me.

Any ideas would be apreciated.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Wanted!! Any ideas

Here's another angle of the stand.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

I borrowed a stand once that looked just like yours. It was not only difficult to do that "tree hugging thing", but the stand itself was made of steel, and was quite heavy.
My only suggestion would be to make another piece that could be connectedaround the tree aboveyour headand use it as a hand hold to help pull you up. It would look similar to thetop part of yours; it's just a frame that grips the tree when you pull down on it. It seems like this might be better than hugging the tree, and could be made fairly easily - though it would mean more weight to carry in with you.
What I did this year was to purchase a Loggy Bayou Brush Ladder Stand, It's only 30 lbs, quite easy to pack in on a pack frame, and sets up in 5-10 minutes. I did modify the horizontal tree brace so it's adjustable, but that wasn't difficult. At 62, I like to keep my feet connected to the ground. This ladder stand can be set at a 6, 9, 12, or 15 foot height and is quite stable.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

That thing looks too much like a Baker to me...I ruined alot of good shirts bear hugging a tree when I was younger... I'd invest in a Summit or a API...They sure are much more comfortable than the old Bakers...And safer too!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with nchawkeye...invest in a Summit. What you are using looks noisey and I'd be concerned about safety

Old 11-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

If another stand is out of the question, I can't help you....
Old 11-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I can say is that I hope you wear your safety harness on the way up and down.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That thing looks too much like a Baker to me...I ruined alot of good shirts bear hugging a tree when I was younger...
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Definitely time to invest in a new and safer stand.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM

Fellas, I promise this stand is safe and very sturdy.I have been using the same model for that last 20 years. My uncle showed me how to make my first one and every 5 years or so I make me another. It works for me, so I guess that is really what matters.

Quick Reply: Wanted!! Any ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.