Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground blinds good or bad?????

Old 10-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ground blinds good or bad?????

I only hunt deer from improvised ground blinds. I go to a likely spot and try to locate a place where I have a good shooting lane to where I expect the deer to appear, which has objects behind me to break up my appearance, and preferably stuff in front of me to cloak my legs and lower body, such as brush. Sometimes I move dead branches in front of me to break up my appearance. I try to locate in a shadowy area. I wear a face net over my face to reduce the whiteness of my face. I have taken 5 deer in my last 4 seasons, so this works for me. I am not a trophy hunter. Maybe this method does not work for super wiley monster bucks, but this isn't my preferred quarry anyway.

I know my hunting ground well and go to a chosen spot based on the wind direction at that time and my knowledge of best hunting spots. Once I get to the general area, then I go through the process of choosing/setting up the improvised ground blind. Often I only use a spot once a year, so when I go the next year I have to go through the same process over again. I actually like the flexibility and freedom of this approach a great deal, versus getting stuck in some tree and committing to one particular tree.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:45 PM

Alsatian, I have seen my fair share of deer while sitting by a tree or in an improvised blind, being very still and quiet.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use ground blinds and treestands, and I think that they both advantages and disadvantages. I personally like the space and warmth of a ground blind. I dont know if it is just me but i feel that the deer have no clue i am there while i am in my blind
Old 10-30-2006, 04:02 PM

i hunt in some planted pine and there not big enough to climb, ground blind works great, no special one for me,