Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand location

Old 09-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Stand location

Hi guys, just a quick question i thought id ask before some last miunte stand placemnt... id like your opinion on where you think the best stand location would be overlooking one of the trails, keeping in mind the predominate winds come from the northwest where i am. The trails i found are the red lines and the grey line is the driveway of the property, which is just over 100 acres. I hunted from a stand last year where the blue X is overlooking a small trail but didnt see much, the trails i have outlined in the picture are major deer runs. The deer frequent the garden and take all the crops we grow[:@]lol....any advice/help is greatly appreciated...sorry the pic is a bit crude and sloppy lol

Mike

PS....i am hunting with a bow...just thought id let you know cuz this could make a different lol

Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Spike

Default RE: Stand location

Too hard to tell with the amount of information. You might want to try and find an aerial photo and paste it into your post. Two websites i know of with free aerial photos are googleearth and local.live.com. Maybe this will help provide some more information.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

based on that much information, i would say just inside the woods off the garden, somewhere where you can see and shoot onto the main trail, but not so you are sitting on top of it. You gotta catch these deer when they are hanging back in the woods waiting for dark before they hit that field. They will stay back away and slowly move in right before dark.

then you have to figure out your best way to approach your stand without disturbing their bedding area.(finding out where their bedding area is would help alot, but you want to make sure you saty away from it as much as possible.)
Old 09-21-2006, 11:56 AM

I agree with TJ in that you need to place your stand on the other side of the driveway and maybe 10-30 yards into the woods off the garden. You say the red lines indicate heavy deer trails so I would be inclined to position my stand somewhere between those trails and the garden/field. Do you hunt mainly in the morning or the afternoon? In the afternoon, you will catch the deer along those trails probably heading to the fields/garden and if you hunt in the morning I would position my stand a bit deeper into the woods to get them coming off the fields at first light.

Good luck. BTW, a satellite image or google earth image would be better, but I like your sketch just fine. Brings back memories of sketching hunting areas on napkins, in the dirt before a drive, etc!!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Heres an aerial pic from google maps....yellow line outlines the property...blue is the driveway..red lines are the trails i mentioned earlier...light green trail is the one i was on last year...somewhere around there is the bedding area

Thanks for the help so far...mike

Old 09-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I beleave I would set up close to where they come in
and go out of the garden.

JMHO

But thats where I would set up.
In a spot with the sunlight is to my back.

Good Luck