Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand location?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stand location?

Hey guys I have a question for you, the place I am hunting is a rectangle basically (approx. 80 acres)with a creek bottom running through the middle and bedding areas surrounding it on one side of the creek, the other side is more rolling hills then it turns into a power line clearing. And the bedding areas are along corn field on one side and bean field on the other. Where would you guys put a stand? I am thinking in the creek bottom, getting the deer crossing into and out of the bedding areas...I don't want to stomp around in the bedding area if possible. Any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand location?

nobody?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its really really hard to say without seeing pics or being there. But i would find a place with the the most trails running through it.

Preferably a trail that is near food and water, creek and corn. That would be spot.

You can also walk along the creek and find where most trails cross, or come to it.

Just my 0.02
Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Give us a topo look my friend if you can.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's just it, there are trails on top of trails, I am having issues on picking which trails to set up on. Last year I took my video camrea and got in my stand just on the edge of the bedding area and creek bottom (top side) and had a 150" 12 yards from me for 20 minutes, but this was 2-3 days before season started Oct. 1 and never seen anything close to that size while hunting. I think I might have gotten "to predictable" to the deer and they knew when I was there. And started using the creek as a means of travel. I tried google earth, and Illinois doesn't show up as clear as other states (wonder why that is). Is there a web site to get good quality topo maps?