Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand location?

Old 08-24-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Stand location?

I have found a valley/gully/ravinewith several deer trails on the south end of it. The valley/gully/ravine is about 100 yards wide and about 1/4 mile long. There is a fairly flat ridge on the south edge of the valley/gully/ravine.Beyond the flat area there is a steady uphill slope going south. Can I put a small food plot, feeder and stand on the flat ridgeon the edge ofthe vally/gully/ravine (about 40 yards from the trails)? Will the deer come up out of the valley/gully/ravine to feed?Ordo I need toset up down in the valley/gully/ravine where some trails intersect? I would like to stay up on thefairly flat area to avoid having to get a deer out/ up a fairly steep hill.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stand location?

As long as it is legal you can put the feeder anywhere you want to. 40 yards is no piece for a deer to smell corn or other feed. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:09 AM

Why do you need food plot or a feeder? you know where they are moving,, get in there and set up a stand where you can intercept theyre movement. Putting a feeder or food plot in now will just tip them off that you are in there! Dont know what to tell you about dragging up hill, but you can bet if you dont anchor on the spot,,, they will head for nastiest terrrain in the area!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:45 PM

i've always heard what swampthing is saying..

we tryed corn years ago and deer got fat at night.. they avoided
area during daylight hours.. for me anyways..
Old 09-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay out of the bottom. I have foundyour scent will tend to pool up there unless you have a good breeze to push it in one direction. Then it seems all the deer come from that direction. Good luck with your new spot.