Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any way to de-tick your deer?

Old 11-11-2002, 09:22 AM

Default Any way to de-tick your deer?

It seems like often lately whenever I get a deer we start having ticks all over me and the dog. (wood ticks, not deer ticks) Other than checking yourself over, does anyone do anything about ticks? I suspect they drop off the hanging deer once they are sure their blood supply is cut off and wait in the leaves below the deer for their next victim.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-11-2002, 10:09 AM

Default RE: Any way to de-tick your deer?

I have heard that the ticks don't drop off immediately because the carcus is still warm. One tip I heard, but haven't tried, is to place a large (about 3 feet in diameter) tub partially filled with water under the deer once it is hung. The ticks can't jump, so will drop off the deer. They can't get out of the water. Without the tub they would walk away and wait for their next victim.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature
Old 11-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Bill
Down here we have a severe problem with the ticks of both varieties. What I do is cut the legs off at the joints so the deer can fit into a large (real large) commercial size plastic bag. Once the deer cools down enough you will see the little bas$%#ds start to drop off. I will leave the bag on for a few days then remove and skin the animal and add that to the bag and dispose of the whole thing at once. The doe I shot with the bow earlier must have gad 30 deer ticks come off, gives ya the creeps

10 Pointers
Old 11-11-2002, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is weird, I live in Va. and we have tons of ticks but I have never seen one on a deer, but I never really looked for them either, I skin mine as soon as I hang them so maybe they don't get a chance to fall off before I skin them.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club