Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bitten by deer tick >

Bitten by deer tick

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bitten by deer tick

Old 07-14-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Bitten by deer tick

Hey guys,

I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful and thorough when checking yourself over after leaving the woods. I'm a tick freak, I hate them, I check myself over always after leaving the woods but this little bugger avoided detection. So far it looks like I'm lucky and have dodged the bullet.I have not had the typical bulleyes rash that is associated with lyme disease although I have scheduled an appiontment to have my blood tested. Hopefully all will remain well but I'll have to wait and see.

So, check yourself well. Get someone else to check you back side. This little critter bit my posterior. I never felt him at all and obviously overlooked him in my post woods ritual.

Adams
Old 07-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bitten by deer tick

It's good to get checked for Lyme disease from time to time. My father got Lyme disease and never had the "bullseye" rash. My coach also got Lyme disease from cutting his finger on a rib bone while guttingand infected deer. Like you, I'm not too fond of ticks. So I check myself over VERY well. Make sure all the bits, pieces, knooks and crannies are sorted through and tick free.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM

Knuk? wtf is a Knuk?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

knook*
Old 07-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I always check myself for ticks after I go through the woods. I also hate them, but I have my share of ticks on me. I am not worried about getting lyme disease because it is rare that people get them from ticks. To everyone that sees ticks kill them.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Allseasonhunter7

knook*
I know what he meant.. I was giving him a hard time. He is my hunting buddy.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Site Bouncer

You also must remember that the lyme disease enzyme is released by the tick when it removes it's self from the host (generally after three days of feeding). So even if you find a deer tick on you 1. It may not carry the disease and 2. If you remove it soon, EVEN if it has the disease it may not get to transfer the enzyme.

That being said,I still hate them and load up with deet whin I go in the woods during tick season.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Site Bouncer

[align=left]The larval and nymphal stages of the tick are no bigger than a pinhead (less than 2 mm). Adult ticks are only slightly larger. Research in the eastern United States has indicated that, generally, ticks transmit Lyme disease to humans during the nymphal stage, probably because nymphs are rarely noticed on a person’s body due to their small size. Thus, the nymphs typically have ample time to feed and transmit the infection (ticks need at least 24 to 36 hours to transmit the infection).[/align]
I just wanted to post this to let you all know that as long as you get them off within the first day you should be safe. Like I said it takes a while for them to transmit the enzyme to the host.........I still hate them![:@]
Old 07-14-2005, 10:06 AM

BigJ,

That is great information and it really sets my mind at ease. I will still get tested of course but I think I caught he soon enough. For as much time as I spend in the woods I'm not very well versed on one of the biggest personal threats to outdoors people. I think it's time to do some research.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

some of y'all know that my husband has had lymes for a few years now...when he was infected he had hundreds of deer ticks on him...he had gone thru a nest or something...anyway he came home and i sat on the bathroom floor for what seemed like hours pulling them off with tweezers...a few days later he got a poison ivy like rash (never a bullseye) and then he thought he was getting the flu...he got better within a few days...we never thought about getting tested because being in central florida and being told that lymes was not around here we never thought about it....well a couple years go by and he starts having problems...we thought it was due to a previous stroke but all the tests came back negative...he was then tested for everything and anything but all tests were negative....one day i was handed a pamplet about lymes and bingo he had every sympton of having the late stages of lymes...since then it's been hell....right up there with cancer and aides...he's doing better now but it's still active...at least he's trying to live again...he spent over a year slowly dying....lost TONS of weight..he got down to 120...you could see bones everywhere....it's changed our lives tremendously....so PLEEEEEASE take it from me: GET TESTED ASAPcause if it's caught early chances are HIGH that it can be treated but if it's left undiagnosed it will be pure hell....and that's putting it nicely.

i'll say a prayer for you that your test comes back negative and i'm extremely please to hear that you care enough about yourself and family to get tested.

Quick Reply: Bitten by deer tick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.