Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anybody have antler restrictions? >

Anybody have antler restrictions?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody have antler restrictions?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anybody have antler restrictions?

We do in Arkansas. In most of the state bucks have to have both antlers shorter than 2 inches OR have three or more points on one side. To be counted a point must be larger than 1 inch. There are a few wma's that have 4 point restrictions instead of three. 2 bucks only. Hunters under 16 can take any buck regardless of antler size for their first buck. The second has to meet the state requirements though.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt in Mason County, TX, so the restrictions don't apply there. Hopefully they won't ever expand to that region, because there are mature bucks that never get that wide. I shot a 4 1/2 year old buck last year that was only 11" inside spread. If we did the 13" rule, he'd still be out there spreading his narrow genes...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

In GA, two buck limit, one buck can be any buck (antlers breaking skin above the hairline), and one buck must have at least 4 points on one side.

Some counties have 4 points on a side restriction and some have 15" spread restrictions, depending on where you go.

Of the two club properties I hunt, one is four points on a side and one is 8 point minimum. Personally, I like hunting that way.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Louisiana there are no restrictions. If it has any bone sticking up anywhere it's legal. Some WMA's and Federal lands have restrictions. Unfortunately many of the rednecks and coon assesdown here are members of the if it's brown it's down club. More and more landowners and clubs though are setting restrictions on bucks down here.Many of the clubs now are DMAP and have their own restrictions. Regardless, most of the bucks killed are still going to be 1 1/2 year olds. They did cut the season buck limit to three this year though. Many hunters down here will disregard that and shoot what they want and as many as they want. I have my own restrictions on my property.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM

Northern Ulster co NY and now Sullivan county NY have the 3 points on one side or better rule. I hope to see the whole state go this route
Old 09-14-2006, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: St.Barnard

you have to get the buck to stop, and look at you to be able to tell if he has a rack with inside spread of at least 13 inches.

What you do here, is set your stand by a nice trail....then on your way to the stand cross the trail were you would like to shoot him, stop and wiz right in the center of the trail...when the buck is cruising down the trail it'll stop him RIGHT now and more than likely he will turn andgive you a goodnasty look right into your eyesbefore vanishing Right Now, so be ready, My grandpappy taught me that one!

Old 09-14-2006, 02:17 PM

The drought here in WYO has hit the deer really hard in some areas, and accordlingly the G&F has changed the regs so that in these areas you can only harvest bucks that have at least 4 points on one side. This reg was being enforced around Dubois way before the drought, and now there are so many big bucks that drawing odds for a resident late-season tag are less than 5%.

The ranch I work at in the foothills of the Bighorns is even pickier. They only shoot mature bucks- so even if there is a 6x6 buck running around, it won't get touched until it is a more mature and even bigger. This has proven quite efective- a couple of years ago the owner took a 174 non-typical whitetail, and a year or two before that one of his friends took a 205 non-typical muley. There are good bucks running around everywhere.