Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 pa antler restrictions  yes or no? >

pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Spike

Default pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Anybody else hate the antler restrictions in pa? i havent got a buck since...
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Here we go again!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mind boggling.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Spike

Not to get this argument started but, I have noticed that the bucks we see on our farm in the past few years have by and large been much bigger than the deer we saw when we first moved there 10 years ago. I was against the restrictions at the beginning but i can now see the effect that it is having on the deer herd. Don't jump all over me this is just my 2 cents!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was against them at first but changing my tune. At first I didn't like taking out the young deer with the best genetics. I'm sure a lot of spikes are saved and a lot of yearling 5,6,7 and 8 points are shot. Then I started thinking it was a good thing but still figured folks should be able to shoot what they want. Now I've shot a few decent bucks and would never shoot a spike or fork again so it doesn't bother me.

Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw a spike. I have seen 11 eight pointers though.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Weve been killing nice bucks in NY for years and years without antler restrictions.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK I'll do my best try to put in a comment here without riling anyone.

Besides the notable improvement in the quality of bucks being harvested, I think the most positive result from AR is the drift away from the mindset that a 3 inch spike was somehow something to be more valued and proud of than harvesting a doe. How many times did we hear this in the old days: It's only a spike orforkie but at least I got my buck!

AR was something that was a little oversold to us like everything else is these days. Now that we've seen some results and more research has emerged over the past few years, I think we can agree that our point restriction is never going to turn PA into an Iowa, Kansas or Illinois. It has undisputably improved the quality of the bucks we see harvested.

It's been pretty well proven that a spread restriction is more effective than our point count but I think a point count was our most realistic way to ease 900,000 into a new way of thinking about our buck crop. I now hear guys talking in terms of the bucks age rather than his antler points. Thats from a culture change that wouldn't have happened herewithout our having started withthe point restriction.

It's also been pretty well proven by extensive research that young bucks with smaller antlers are not inferior genetically but it's more likely that they were born later in their first year than the better racked young bucks. Most bucks equalizeat age 41/2 but very few get there in PA.
The point here is that we arent having any real effect on the gene pool, good or bad.

I think BarnesX.308 said it very well:

I was against them at first but changing my tune. At first I didn't like taking out the young deer with the best genetics. I'm sure a lot of spikes are saved and a lot of yearling 5,6,7 and 8 points are shot. Then I started thinking it was a good thing but still figured folks should be able to shoot what they want. Now I've shot a few decent bucks and would never shoot a spike or fork again so it doesn't bother me.

Actually, I can't remember the last time I saw a spike. I have seen 11 eight pointers though.
The best thing to come from AR was to start a change in the mindset of the average PA hunter. More and more hunters are drifting away from that idea of shooting the first thing with a bone on it's head to being willing to kick it up a notch.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Spike

I love it, the quality of the bucks are so much better. Now all we need to do is stop slaughtering the doe during buck season.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now all we need to do is stop slaughtering the doe during buck season.
People need to stop slaughtering the BUTTON BUCKS during firearms season.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Boy wait till RSB gets ahold of this one,I see another sermon on the horizon.Personally,i'm against it even though I don't shoot anything small anymore.
My theory is if a buck doesn't mature till he's 5-6 years old chances are he's never gonna make it past 2 or 3 in this state anyhow so we're just prolonging the inevitable.If these 1 1/2 year old spikes and forkhorns are not genetically inferior as once belived,by the time there 2 or 3 and are harvestable under the AR,chances are they're gonna get it before they get to maturity anyhow.

Quick Reply: pa antler restrictions yes or no?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.