Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions >

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

In some places of NY, like 3H, they made it so a buck must have 3 pts on one side to shoot it... for 100s of years a legal buck wasa spike, or better, it makes me mad that the casual hunter, who is just as happy to get a 4 pointer as he is a 12... i guess they want bigger deer for more hunters and money [:@]
Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

I am happy about it. In some areas of NY, I have NEVER once seen a buck with points, just spikes. It will be good to see some age structure in our herd again.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

What's the difference between shooting a small buck and a doe? I would rather see a doe harvested personally.

You are right; these laws are made to enhance the population of the deer herd. You'll take a hit for the next few years; but in time; those casual hunters that are currently intent in taking a small buck will be even more intent in taking a big buck because there will be more around.

In the meantime, go get a doe license.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Love it! I wish they would do it in 6s.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Plus, with last years mild winter, everyone is telling me they are seeing more deer, as am I, and that should help ease the effects of the restriction, and possibly lessen the amount of time it takes to really have a lasting affect.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

In some places of NY, like 3H, they made it so a buck must have 3 pts on one side to shoot it... for 100s of years a legal buck wasa spike, or better, it makes me mad that the casual hunter, who is just as happy to get a 4 pointer as he is a 12... i guess they want bigger deer for more hunters and money [:@]
But remember, we as hunters are consevationalist....it isn't about you, it's what is best for the herd as a whole. PA is going into its 4 season and it's a win, win......Way to go NY.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

This thread should get interesting but let me ask a question.

Are they implementing anter restrictions only or are they also trying to manage the overall deer herd in NY by issuing more doe tags?

Here in PA they did both and you will get mixed opinions. I think they've overdone the doe tags and overall deer mangement in a lot of the state. Myself, I'm still seeing tons of deer but that is because of where I hunt and I understand some areas are not like that at all.

As for the antler restrictions, I'm all for it. I agree with the poster above that said, shoot the doe instead of the small buck.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

From what I read, there are more doe permits this year also, but remember, in NY, this has only been implemented in certain zones, it is not statewide yet (should be though...)
Old 08-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Spike

This should be statewide! If your going to shoot a something smaller then a 5 pointer shoot a doe.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the meantime, go get a doe license.
shoot the doe instead of the small buck.
If your going to shoot a something smaller then a 5 pointer shoot a doe.
In 3h (where the restrictions are) and many others, you need preference points to even have a chance at a dmp permit - in other words most hunters will not get one and their chances of being able to take a deer are remote at best. Couple years of this and the hunters that only get out a few times a year (A LARGE NUMBER) will just not bother and our ranks will shrink - NOT GOOD!

What's the difference between shooting a small buck and a doe? I would rather see a doe harvested personally
See above - can't shoot a doe with no permit.
Also - what is the difference between shooting a spike or a 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 year basket 8 pt? Both are young immature deer - bucks don't mature until 5+ years. If you shoot anything younger and you support mandatory points based AR, you are a hypocrite.
Here in central NY, over 60% of the 1 1/2 bucks are 6 point or better - same age the spike or less then 6 pointsyou guys are determined to save.
Let's target the best of the 1 1/2 old bucks - any way that makes sense to anybody?

t remember, we as hunters are consevationalist....it isn't about you, it's what is best for the herd as a whole.
Best for the herd? How?
Best for the trophy hunter? You bet - even though that trophy may be a 2 1/2 YOUNG buck.
Check the biweekly NYS Sportsman's paper. EVERY issue has lots of pics of great bucks taken in NY - and I bet hardly a fraction get to it.
NY is a big state with widely varied habitat, deer populations and carrying capacities - no way a one size fits all regulation can do any more then hurt. Some areas need pop increases, some need decreases, and some are close. The state cannot effectively manage overall numbers and some want them to manage age?

Steve

Quick Reply: anyone in NY mad about the antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.