Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-11-2002, 02:45 PM

Default RE: Help me. . . Why do people hunt?

I hunt because I love the challenge of testing my God-given skills against those of nature’s other inhabitants. I love to be in the outdoors, experiencing the world away from politics, economics, and other social battles; tasting, briefly, the truly original laws of God and nature. I am not a hiker or a photographer because those people are observers of nature; outsiders looking in. I am a hunter, an INTEGRAL participant in the performance. As a hunter, my relationship with other creatures develops in a unique manner, not possible in any other role: I possess the power to harvest them, and carry the weight of the responsibility that comes with that power. This position as nature’s steward motivates me to practice and improve my skills and allows me to appreciate and celebrate the triumphs of others.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:57 PM

I see what some of you are saying about the price, but in ny the lic. cost to me was $53 that includes ml. Some people pay more some less. The cost of the gun didn't affect me my guns where handed down(lucky). As far as clothing i use the same clothes I had when i was in the military over 15 years ago. Now if your a new hunter then your harvest meat will be more expensive. As time goes on and the more deer and other game that you harvest the cost will go down. The hunting will pay for itself in the long run. Unless your one of these guys that have to go out and buy a new gun every year. As far as the saying "if its brown its down" I don't believe in this either. I like to shot the biggest deer I can for the reason that there's more meat.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:10 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Nature, outdoors, excersise, friendship, tradition, challenge, food, memories and reward.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
I think Skeeter hit most of the reasons most people hunt. Anti hunters want people to believe that hunters just think about the killing of what ever they are hunting but for me it's really all the above that gets me in the woods on a frosty cold winter morning. I can't really say I hunt for the meat, though I will eat what I harvast. I would like to get that one big trophy someday to hang on the wall, but that's not why I'm out there hunting either. Its the fellowship with hunting buddies, watching the sun come up, listening to the crows early in the morning, squirrels barking at you for being in thier tree. I think its just a calling some people have more than others. It's real R&R from what most of us have to put up with in factories, offices ect... I've had many successful hunts and never fired a shot, alot of people don't understand that.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:20 PM

I hunt for several different reasons: 1.It provides many meals for my family and myself. 2. I love the outdoors, spending time in God's creation. I can think of nothing more peaceful and relaxing than the time I spend in the woods scouting, tracking, and hunting deer. 3.It is a challenge, trying to outsmart the deer, trying to strategically situate myself where I think I will find success.
Here in Indiana, in the county I live in, I can harvest one buck and two does. I will not take a buck if it appears to be under 3 years. I will also pass on smaller does. It costs $24 per tag, and $75- $100 bucks per deer to process based on the amount of specialty meats I order. I usually average $2 per pound of deer meat.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:00 PM

For me, Snakeman458 sums it up pretty well with his answer. But...

Does everyone remember &quot;Outdoor Life&quot; magazine? This month's issue, has an article by editor Jim Zumbo, entitled (surprise!) &quot;WHY WE HUNT&quot;. Check it out. It's good ammo for someone trying to explain things to a non-hunter.

P.S. - Don't believe all the B.S about how beef is full of weird chemicals and will make you grow extra limbs. This is mostly propaganda put out by P.E.T.A. and other groups who hate meat eaters in general and hunters in particular. I live right here in the middle of cattle country and most ranchers don't administer anything more than an occasional antibiotic, which leaves the animal's system after a few days. Venison is infinitely superior, of course, because it is wild game.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Spike

I hunt because:
I like wild meat
At no time do I feel more in touch with nature than when I'm fulfulling man's natural role, that of a predator, an essential part of the food chain
I enjoy shooting
I believe it is an important part of all North Americans heritage. It settled both of our countries
It makes me as giddy as a kid on Christmas when I tag a critter

You can't eat what you miss!
Old 11-12-2002, 02:21 AM
Fork Horn

for the love of the woods, for the love of the animal, for the love of the challenege, for the love of the meat. thats all plain and simple!!

good hunting

Old 11-16-2002, 09:53 PM

OH BOY SOME POEPLE CAN REALLY GET OFF THE SUBJECT BUT, I JUST LOVE TO HUNT, MY BOSS CANT UNDERSTAND IT. REASONS , LOVE TO BE IN THE OUTDOORS, SPENDING TIME WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY, OF COURSE I LOVE VINISON MAKE MY OWN SAUSGE, THE THRILL OF THE KILL. AND AS FAR AS COST FOR ME IT IS DEFINITLY EXPENIVE, TIME OFF WORK TRAVEL EXP. ONE OF MY BEST DAYS WAS SEENING MY SON KILL HIS FIRST DEER. WATCHING A GOOD DOG FLUSH A BIRD OR MAKE A RETRIEVE. THE MEMORIES WILL LAST A LIFE TIME.
HOPE I COULD HELP, HAPPY HUNTING

Old 11-16-2002, 09:54 PM

OH BOY SOME POEPLE CAN REALLY GET OFF THE SUBJECT BUT, I JUST LOVE TO HUNT, MY BOSS CANT UNDERSTAND IT. REASONS , LOVE TO BE IN THE OUTDOORS, SPENDING TIME WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY, OF COURSE I LOVE VINISON MAKE MY OWN SAUSGE, THE THRILL OF THE KILL. AND AS FAR AS COST FOR ME IT IS DEFINITLY EXPENIVE, TIME OFF WORK TRAVEL EXP. ONE OF MY BEST DAYS WAS SEENING MY SON KILL HIS FIRST DEER. WATCHING A GOOD DOG FLUSH A BIRD OR MAKE A RETRIEVE. THE MEMORIES WILL LAST A LIFE TIME.
HOPE I COULD HELP, HAPPY HUNTING