Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Radios...is it cheating?

Old 11-12-2002, 09:55 AM

Default Radios...is it cheating?

I think some states even have laws forbidding the use of walkie talkies or 2-way radios. What do you think?

Whenever my hunting partner and I go, we take a set. I think it helps to relieve some of the dullness of a slow afternoon when we can converse. There's also a safety factor that cannot be overlooked. In the event of an accident, we could call each other. Obviously, it has the benefit of knowing whether or not the other guy sees deer. I personally never thought of this as cheating rather, "team hunting" for a lack of a better term.

-Mike

Old 11-12-2002, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Radios...is it cheating?

I totally agree with you. I sometimes use them with my buddies, but all is for saftey concerns. Just in case of an accident. I do believe it is illegal to use them in MN while hunting but not certain on that. I dont care though, because if you hunt in the same kind of bush as I do, a lot of different things could happen. Whether its fall out of stand, break a leg, get attacked by a wild animal or whatever. Good for in case of an accident.

Ron Starr
Old 11-12-2002, 12:16 PM

Starrman,

In MN it's illegal to use two way radios to "aid in the taking of game". However you can bring them with you for safety and keeping in contact purposes. You just can't tell them where the deer are at or if one is coming there way. You can certainly let them know you've seen deer. Just not that it's coming towards thier stand or that you'll be making a push to them.

Old 11-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

We use them all the time, however in our thick woods the range isn't always that good. Nowdays with cheap cell phone minutes we use our phones alot too. I try to never go hunting without at least a cell phone for the safety aspect. A couple years ago my brother and his little boy were hunting on the edge of a hay field that my parents house overlooks. They had the 2-way and my dad told told them that there was a big 10pt chasing a doe about 800 yards away in another field they couldn't see. As the deer moved in their direction, my dad kept them posted on the bucks where-abouts. Finally and luckily he entered the field they were in and my nephew killed the deer. Other than building the excitement, the radios didn't aid in killing the deer. That buck was either going to enter the field my brother and nephew were in or he wasn't. A radio would never change that.

I don't see anything wrong with them at all, especially for the safety reasons.

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:00 PM

We always use them. When you are hiking up steap rocky mountains in the desert with all the creatures around (mountain lions, snakes, etc) it is really good for safety. We don't use them to converse or for the help of finding animals though because one year I forgot to turn mine down while I was stalking a deer (archery) and one of the guys came over the radio just to see how we were doing and it spooked it.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:21 PM

I have set that my son and i use. my club uses them and we are thinking about making them required. where we hunt they wouldnt be worth much for helping your buddy hunt. my son shot a buck sat. morning and a another 8 pt had gone toward a friend some 200 yards through the woods . he never saw him. so it didnt help him.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-12-2002, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

We use them here in NV mainly for safety and finding where we are at, due to the long distances that we can walk in a day. I too agree that they don't help in actually taking game, so we don't worry about it if we tell each other that we saw deer or not. On the other hand they can drive me nuts because my dad will never shut up sometimes. I like the peace and and quiet of being on top of the highest mountain around.

Old 11-12-2002, 02:30 PM

in wis. its illeagl as far as i noe but i think it is really nice to have them
Old 11-12-2002, 03:18 PM
AK

You can use them in PA, but not to assist in taking game.

Old 11-12-2002, 03:36 PM

we use them in Fla. all the time.just about every truck you see has a CB radio. my wife and myslef also use the talk abouts all the time.
it is nice when she shoots,to hear her say,"I need you"

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

Quick Reply: Radios...is it cheating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.