Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-10-2002, 07:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-10-2002, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Help me. . . Why do people hunt?

I personally hunt for probably the oldest reason. I hunt for the meat. I will not buy meat from any store, WAY to many chemicals for me. I believe that if you kill something you should do it for a good purpose. There are way to many trophy HUNTERS out there. To many people think there kool because they killed a big deer with a big rack.(THIS IS BULL). Its wonderfull if you kill a big deer and you should be proud. BUT if your hunting just to hang something on your wall Then your a jerk. If you think your billy bob bad a$$ because you killed a harmless creature with big horns your an idiot!!! sorry about rambling but trophy hunters don't impress me at all. Once again I'm not putting down hunters. I'm putting down people that shot and kill any game just for the fun of it. This is just my 2 cents.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:54 PM
Spike

722 I hate to burst your bubble but there is no way that meat obtained from hunting is cheaper that store bought meat. I dont hunt for antlers but i dont have a problem with those that do as lond as they do nothing to bring trouble to the hunting ranks. There are many reasons to hunt but to say that you just hunt for meat is almost as bad as saying you trophy hunt.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:29 PM

Because the only reason we are here is because humans as a species are hunters. Read Ted Nugents Books, you'll get alot of good reasons.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Dale, maybe you should read 722's post again. It says nothing about it being any cheaper than buying meat from the store. It does say that there are far too many chemicals in the "commercial" meat that we buy at the store which I would definatley agree with.

The main reason I hunt is for the meat although I admit that I'm always in search of a trophy buck just like anyone else. I also enjoy the challenge of hunting. Being in the woods undetected with the deer is a challenge and the day it becomes too easy is the day I will give it up.
Old 11-10-2002, 03:38 PM

Dale did you even read what I wrote. I never said anything about cost. I don't know how you can compare hunting for food and trophy hunting. My family has a very low income for a house of 4. YES it is cheaper for me to hunt because I take care of the meat myself. The only real cost to me is about 75 cents the cost of a bullet. Maybe your just trying to get me mad or something. Next time read what your going to write about before you stick your foot in your mouth!!!!!
Old 11-10-2002, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt because I like to get in the woods. I haven't taken anything yet this year, but I've also let deer walk by my stand.
I usually only take two deer a year. I'd like to get a big buck,
so I pass on the little ones. I shoot does too if they are big and will give a lot of meat. Hunting for the meat as the only reason is not a very cost effective way to feed a family. You could spend the same amount of time working a 2nd job at Walmart, and put a lot more groceries on the table. This is not a flame. Only my point of view.

Old 11-10-2002, 05:14 PM

Dale, hunting for your meat is a heck of alot cheaper than buying it in the store, and it is also all safer to eat.

In response to your statement, hunting for food is almost as bad as hunting for trophy is not a very true or fair statement. I say this with all good intentions.

Some people hunt for the big boys, paying a ton of money to do this and when all is said and done the only point in the hunt was to show off your trophy, which is fine.

On the other hand there are many peole that litteraly depend on harvesting a few deer during season for thier meat. To me there is a huge difference in this.

I personally hunt for quite a few reasons, to be in the great out door, the peace I find while in the woods, the challenge, the feeling of being closer to the good Lord. And yes the joy of a harvest!

And the joy of feeding myself and family with good meat. I do not hunt to kill as many deer as I possibly can, and many times I choose to only enjoy watching deer as I have taken more than enought to eat through out the year, which for one will save me money, second it is safer. I can afford to live a decent life for the most part and have been blessed, but I do not abuse nature and what the good Lord has blessed us with.

Good luck and happy hunting.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-10-2002, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, I am a meat hunter AND a trophy hunter. Let me explain what I mean. I hunt does for meat and shoot 2-4 per year (legal in my part of Texas). I only shoot a buck every 4-5 years when I outsmart a really mature buck. That is one of the biggest joys for me: outwitting a really smart buck on his terms. There is a kind of primal/instinctive joy in that that I don't apologize to anyone for. I am a predator. I am PART of nature, not apart from it. Last year I watched over 25 seperate bucks over the season including some decent 8-10 pointers and never pulled the trigger on one because they were all young bucks (3-1/2 or younger). Therefore, I do consider myself a trophy hunter. At least, I am a mature buck hunter, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Why do I hunt? Let me count the ways:

1) I can talk with my maker better when I am hunting than at any other time.

2) I have an instinct to hunt. There is something within my being that takes joy in "the hunt" whether or not I get anything. I guess this is another way to say I am a predator.

3) When someone asks me this question, I always ask them back: "Why is it ok for a cougar/wolf/coyote to hunt and kill a deer and not me?"

4) I grew up in a hunting culture.

5) I love the meat and it is healthier than storebought, both for the chemical reasons given above and the lower fat content.

6) I do my own killing, and don't hire it done like all who simply purchase it in the grocery. I like the phrase I have heard Ted Nugent say: "To grill it, first you have to kill it." Pretty simplistic, but there are a lot of city people who eat meat but are against hunting that don't see this connection.

7) I love the outdoors and the creatures that walk the woods. Actually I revere them. I realize that this is a paradox, how can you kill something you love, but it is a truth for me.

8) If we didn't hunt, we would need to reintroduce wolves and cougars in people's back yards to keep deer numbers in check. Where I live, it would litteraly be in people's back yards. Wild deer walk within 30 yards of my house daily. Do you want a cougar behind your house when your kids are out playing?

I have more, but these are my core ones.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:06 PM

i hunt because, 1 it is my right as an american. 2 i feed my family with the game i kill, not because i have to, but because i want to and it is a better quality meat, free from chemicals.3. you can't beet the feeling and the emotional ty that you have when being out in the great world of nature that god has created for us. don't get this wrong, i am not a bible thumper, but i do belive heavely in god and what he has given to us. we are the free american people, my ancestors are native american and i am a card holder of the cherokee nation east coast nation. we all can learn alot from nature, respect, honor and humility.we are never more vulnerable than when we are in the woods,re; anything can happen, it is up to us to uphold the traditions of these the american people and educate them and our kids. soory for the lecture, hope this helps. i am proud to be american and free.

don't fear the night
fear what hunt's at night
the snakeman

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.