Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-10-2002, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Help me. . . Why do people hunt?

txhunter58 When I said trophy hunter I was talking about these people that shoot the deer and just keep the head. I'm shore that even when you kill that nice buck you still eat the meat. Sorry if I worded that wrong in my first reply. I also get piece of mind when I'm in the woods. I've also sat and just watched deer go by.It is also fun to be able to mix with nature and watch what diferent animals do.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nature, outdoors, excersise, friendship, tradition, challenge, food, memories and reward. The cole notes version.

I am a trophy hunter, I am searching for the wall with my one buck tag, if I don't see it or have the opportunity I eat it (my tag that is) Meat I take does and other larger big game, I have yet to go a year without fresh meat in the freezer from my hunting. I have also gone years without shooting a buck or trophy. It is all my choice, i hardly think I am better than anyone. We all have our reasons and goals I respect them. But don't lump someone into a group that you don't believe or want to be a part of just B/C they are different..especially using words like idiot or jerks. I bet those who choose to only take the antlers, use the meat for others such as food shelters, etc. If they shoot an animal and leave the meat to be unused...this a POACHER, not a trophy hunter.

Edited by - skeeter 7mm on 11/11/2002 01:26:20
Old 11-11-2002, 04:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-11-2002, 06:03 AM

Hey skeeter. the way you worded it is better then what I said I agree with you that these people should be called poachers, but if they shoot the deer legally and just use the head for a trophy it still is legal. Poaching is when they take the deer illegally. Like I said in my last reply I'm not calling someone that uses the meat,or gives it away a Jerk or an idiot. I'm calling the guy that just kills for the fun of it a jerk, idoit. I myself would rather see someone thats going to use the meat take the deer, then see someone just shot it and waste the meat. I balieve that most of us feel the same way we're just saying it in diferent ways.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:16 AM

One other thing this is why i even got onto this subject. I was watching a show on tv this past year. The show takes place out west, I'm not going to say the state I don't want to make anybody mad. These SO CALLED HUNTERS!!! bring in the game in a truck, anything from lions to deer. Then there's a group of Hunters that wait for the person to release the animal. The animal is released and the SO CALLED HUNT IS ON. The place where the animal is released is ussally about 100 achers and its fenced. This hunt is legal and these guys called themselfs trophy hunters. When they shoot the animal all they do is mount it. No one used any of the meat.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

model 722, the meat still needs to be tagged and removed...I would hope most don't just throw the animal in the dumb...in this case it is a huge waste and they are idoits. I worked in the outfitting industry while it is true very few took the meat from the deer they harvested home. Simply b/c the hassle, transport and shoot deer in their home state/prov. for meat. We always used every ounce of meat, some was for camp meals, other was to the guides or outfitters family and most was donated to the less forunate. Some guys would even specify we do this on their behalf, which we of course would do. I still call anybody that harvest and animal and keep only its head are poachers not hunters. If they are on a guided trophy hunt they should ask the outfitter what happens to the meat if they leave it behind...if the answer is who cares...then don't hunt with that idiot. One who truly cares about the sport and the animals will do all they can to protect and keep the resource, yes this includes the meat is used.

As too penned or caged hunt...that is a different ball game. I won't get into it now, but it doesn't fall into my idea of hunting one bit. their has to be fair chase methods involved to warrant it to be called hunting. As to that show you mentioned it does nothing for our sport, much the same as the show they aired on hunting bears with dogs some years ago. Joe public and the anti movement was outraged at what "so called hunting", really is or isn't.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt for all of the reasons above.As far as the Trophy/Meater thing,I take 2 or 3 deer a year .Im allowed 12.Its all I need.The problem I have with some meat hunters is that they have that "IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN" mentality.I hate to see someone bring up a yearling or fawn and talk about how tender it will be.Oh, ask the none hunters where they got their leather shoes,purse,belts,gloves,the leather seats in their cars and so on.It must have been ok for someone to kill those animals for them.

Old 11-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Model722: I suspected that is what you meant, and it sounds like we are on the same page in regard to trophy hunting. I also think hunting released, penned animals is wrong and should be banned.

However, everywhere that I am aware of, If you shoot an animal and waste the meat, you are breaking the law. So the people you are speaking of are indeed breaking the law.

Also, I have a friend that goes to Africa, something which I don't care to do. He shot 6 animals the last time he went. Every scrap of meat was used by the local villagers who could use it much more that he could and he pumped lots of dollars into their economy. It is actually illegal to bring any of the meat back into this county due to disease transmission. While going there is not my cup of tea, I don't condem him for it.

Good hunting
Old 11-11-2002, 01:13 PM

Don't know about you guys, but my IGA doesn't carry venison and we love venison. I kill deer for the meat, even though it comes out to about $350 a lb (between license, equipment, travel, accessories, etc.).
Old 11-11-2002, 01:32 PM

I hunt for a few reasons.
1. I like the taste of the meat
2. I am in awe of nature and the things a hunter see's in the woods are just not captured on camera.
3. Friend's family owns a farm and I see first hand the crop damage deer can do to field's and how this affects the farmer.
There are really too many reasons to list.

How can it be $350 a pound????
Let's say a rifle $500, tags $100, Stand $200, Clothes $300,
PRICELESS
Getting your first deer or helping a new hunter get their first deer Getting buck fever, watching 2 bucks spar in the field to establish dominance, seeing does less than 5 yards away eating in front of you while hoping a buck comes into them. Having time stand still and admiring nature in its purest form. yes the killing and cleaning is a part of hunting but hardly the reason most people hunt.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.