Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer meat! bad or good?

Old 04-05-2006, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: deer meat! bad or good?

Except for stew I always eat venison very rare. The outside 1/4 inch browned and the rest blood red. never had a problen in the last 40 years!! Heck, Chinese food gives me the squirts 30 minutes later every time, no problem with Venison.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer meat! bad or good?

Good one, Striper Phil. Good to see so many thoughts. Meat that has been thawed can be refroze, no problem there, it willjust be drier.... think about it all that blood/juice seeps out everytime you thaw it and can never be returned to the meat. Like was said in above and in whatever variation you want .... DON'T LET IT GET TOO WARM. If you have a pack of meat that you need to spit, thaw it half way.... so that there are still ice crystals in the meat, you now know that it wasn't too warm and you steaks will look better b/c half froze meat cuts more even. B/c it hasn't thawed all the way through, depletion of blood/juices is minimal and your refrze meat will taste just the same. I am very carefull w/ my venison and will eat it RAW,but lets be serious the guys at the local supermarket don't care as much about the productas I do when I have cared for the meat since the time of death and will consume the whole thing. I know this b/c I got a job in a supermarket butcher shop to learn to cut my own at home. Not all bacteria is bad..... don't worry too much about it or you'll never touch another public door handle again or public washrooms. The guys that handle burger get just over min wage....trust me if all bacteriacould kill so quickly we would all be dead. Oh, and I eat my PORK--PINK no blood, beef or all other red meat is just that RED, domestic chicken and turkey get cooked all the way through but some wild birds I will eat med-rare.