Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer pee on hams, meat any good? >

Deer pee on hams, meat any good?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer pee on hams, meat any good?

Old 11-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Deer pee on hams, meat any good?

I didn't have my saw with me to saw through the pelvic bone and pull out the urinary sac. Itried to get it outwithout spilling it but was unsuccessful, as it got on one of the hams pretty good. We did pour a 5 gallon bucket ofwater over it shortly after,butis the ham any good?
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer pee on hams, meat any good?

No, but you can still clean it real good, freeze it, pack it in dry ice and send it to me.
I've know folk to throw meat away because of that, but on occasion I have had the same thing happen top me. I would just wash it off with water immediatley, and then scrub and clean the affected area. I've never noticed anything in the cooking or eating of it.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Might laugh at this but I pour vinigar over area and sprinkle liberal amount of salt on area.Wash it off later.Had an old butcher tell me that years ago after I did same thing and on some occasions still do - nick the old pee bag.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AJ52

Might laugh at this but I pour vinigar over area and sprinkle liberal amount of salt on area.Wash it off later.Had an old butcher tell me that years ago after I did same thing and on some occasions still do.

YEP! Have done it before!

Old 11-23-2005, 03:56 PM

it's a fact that urine is full of antibiodies and there is no health risk even if you drink it. can't say as i would want a glass full though.[:'(]
Old 11-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wash and butcher, no problems.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Spike

You may want to trim an inch or so away from the inside of the hams where the urine contacted the meat, but you won't lose much meat at all. I've nicked the unrinary tract before and just hosed the deer out real good when I got home.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:58 AM

No problem as folks have already told ya. Might wanna get yourself a big old syringe from southern states or the like.The sell em for horse medication and such. Just keep it in your pack with the cover on the tip,keep a couple empty scent bottles with ya and suck that juice right outta there and then put it in your scent bottles. Fresh and free and you can extract it right outta the bladder before attempting to pull it out of the ham cavity.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:47 AM

ORIGINAL: pocomoke

Might wanna get yourself a big old syringe from southern states or the like.The sell em for horse medication and such. Just keep it in your pack with the cover on the tip,keep a couple empty scent bottles with ya and suck that juice right outta there and then put it in your scent bottles. Fresh and free and you can extract it right outta the bladder before attempting to pull it out of the ham cavity.
Now I've heard of collecting urine from your kill so you'd have free scent, but didn't what the best way to collect it would be. That sounds like a great way to do it.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

just wash it off and yu should be fine. urea is just unabsorbed minerals and vitamins with water. yes it is piss, but it ain't gonna kill ya and as long you clean it goo and cook it right. but if your really parinoid about the fact your digestine trace amounts of buckys piss i'd do what bassman said and just trim it out. ooh ya congrates and thank you for keeping these furry creatures in check