Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer dies caught in fence, meat any good? >

Deer dies caught in fence, meat any good?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer dies caught in fence, meat any good?

Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Deer dies caught in fence, meat any good?

A buddy of mine has a nice buck caught in his fence. The deer might still be alive now, but if so, is barely alive. I'm not worried about it rotting or anything. My concern is the stress the deer went through for hours trying to free itself. Is the meat ruined from this stress? I've heard when they stress like that, the meat is affected and want to know what you think.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2005, 02:01 PM

Default RE: Deer dies caught in fence, meat any good?

I would think it would be not much different than a buck fighting another buck for an hr. or two or a bull elk or big ram fightning (they say all day or night) then a hunter taking him.
I kill one in a fense one time; he was not in it till death, but for a while. he ate mighty good to me.

all I can say , is try it and if it's tough , then grind it into burger.other than being tough I don't think it would be any different.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:14 PM

should be fine.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well,

I got there at about 5:15, as it had just gotten dark. The buck was still alive, 8 pointer with about a 17 inch spread at least, nice, symettrical rack with decent mass. There is a 15 yard strip ofwoods bordering a MAJOR highway that it was in, and it tried to jumpover the6 foot fence into the woods my buddy owns. Itgot its hoof stuck in the top hole, and twisted that top part of the fence to parallel with the ground. It was on the ground from its chest area forward. The DNR woman "shot" it twice at about 6 feet, but we didn't see any blood or holes in it. So I cut its throat, and it took several minutes to bleed out. I took it to the meat processor and will be getting the rack. If I shot it while hunting, I'd have it mounted for sure.

Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Fork Horn

Any pics? Why did the DNR woman shoot the buck? How were you able to get the meat to a processor w/o a tag or did you use your tag? If I had to use my tag, then certainly would want to shoot it.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't get any pictures, but should have. I will take a picture of the rack and put it on here when I get back from rifle hunting in WV later in the week. The DNR woman had to shoot it because it was still alive when we got there. Also, it was exhausted and it's back leg that was caught in the fence was broken near the hoof from being twisted. As I said, I actually killed it myself. She gave me a tag for it that they usually use for road kills, and I gave it to the processor. They will give my wife the rack when she picks it up.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why did the DNR woman shoot the buck? How were you able to get the meat to a processor w/o a tag or did you use your tag? If I had to use my tag, then certainly would want to shoot it.
Md DNR will issue a tag just as they will for a road kill. I'm assuming it was a no shoot area(residental) and I surely wouldn't want to have to shoot it with a bow which proablly would have illegal also.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well,

I got the rack and measured it. 16 1/2 inch inside spread, 4 inch bases, and 21 or 22 inch main beams, 8 inch G2's, 5 inch G 3's. Nice rack! I have a picture if anyone wants to host it in here. I signed up to imageshack, but when I go to the site, there's no spot for logging in!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine has a nice buck caught in his fence. The deer might still be alive now, but if so, is barely alive.
He knew the deer was stuck and didnt put it out of its misery???
Old 11-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you like send the pic to me. I will post it. [email protected]