Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's the wildest thing you seen a shot deer do ? >

What's the wildest thing you seen a shot deer do ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's the wildest thing you seen a shot deer do ?

Old 02-16-2006, 07:08 PM

Default RE: What's the wildest thing you seen a shot deer do ?

Hunting with abuddy in the second week of bow season and he shot a four point. The buck took off and slammed right into a giant oak tree. He hit the tree so hard he broke the right antler off in half right there on the tree, ran about 10 yards and died. We found the other half of the antler on the side of the trail.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

A friend shot a buck on a high fenced ranch and the buck jumped the 8' fence and ran off. We did find the buck, but just the fact that he was able to clear that fence.....
Also, I shot a buck one time that did like 4 head over azz flips and then didnt move a muscle........i thought it was strange
Old 02-17-2006, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

I was bow hunting a few years back and shot a doe at 23 yards and she didn't do a thing. She didn't react to being hit or anything. I could see the blood coming out of her. She didn't even pick up her head, she just kept on eating acorns until she fell over dead.

I also shot a deer while bow hunting and she took off on a dead run (no pun intended) and she ran head first into a tree. She turned her skull into mush, that's how hard she hit the tree.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

This is a lot like that told by Beggin 4 Bucks a few posts ago,and was told to me by my dad many years ago.
His buddy shot a buck that wheeled to run just as he fired. They went to the spot where it had been standing only to find a 12" sliver of skin with white hair on it. Following the blood trail, it suddenly got very large, then they began finding pieces of intestines. They soon found the deer completely bled out with the remainder of his innards hanging out. The guy's bullet had passed between its back legs and "unzipped" its stomach.

IM jaybe
Old 02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

#1 - I killed a bull elk in '99, up a very steep mountain side in MT, more goat habitat than elk. I shot from below with the bull 300 yards above me. On the shot, he whirled and headed down the hill. He made about five strides, just enough to get his momentum up, then tipped over on his nose. Now, with momentum and the mountainside working for him, he began summersalting down the mountain. I'm talking full head over heels summersalts. It was something to behold. He flipped over and over about 8 times before he came to rest in a rock slide. Lucky for me he didn't damage his antlers.

#2 - I killed a big whitetail doe, great meat animal, back in '03. When I shot her, she was standing just below the skyline on a plateau. She ran up to the top of the butte, and precisely on the skyline, visible for miles, she rared up on her hindlegs and kicked her front legs out. Then she fell. It reminded me of some cheesy western movie where the cowboy's horse rares up as he waves goodbye to the pretty girl, then the credits roll. (Especially if some Indian snuck up and shot the guy's horse as it rared, but that'd be a Mel Brooks western I guess.)
Old 02-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a doe in the late season with my bow and she ran 4 yds layed down anddied.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think its kinda interesting to hear that many deer/elk can roll down a steep mountain or run right into a tree and most of the time it doesnt even hurt the antlers. it just shows how tough those things are.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:31 AM

I shot a doe on the banks of the Missouri River, the deer turned directly toward the water, hit the water full speed, and tried to swim towards the Nebraska side.

She must have been a Husker fan!!
Old 02-19-2006, 05:51 PM

Shot a 11 pointer about 5 years ago that was chasing a doe. Hit him pretty good right behind the front shoulders. He kept chasing the doe and even mounted her for a brief second before he finally went down. For about 15 seconds he didnt even seem to be hit though Just shows how much testosterone he had flowing I guess
Old 02-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

On a cold December day many years ago in NJ was in a stand that overlooked a trail that split, one trail split off and crossed a brook 70 yards across or so. A big doe swam the brook and stopped on an 10 foot island in the middle and stopped. It was a 60 yard shot with triple OOO and I figured she would cross after the shot where I could go fetch her. Shot and she dropped in her tracks, later found 000 in heart and liver. Anyway I had to strip and swim to the little island and swim her back like a lifeguard. Air dried and frozen, I got her my first.

Quick Reply: What's the wildest thing you seen a shot deer do ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.