Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Question about Summer Food Plot?

Old 12-30-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Question about Summer Food Plot?

I would like to plant something for the summer. My question is What Do I Need to Plant? As far as I now, there is nothing planted on surrounding properties except a couple of small wheat fields in the Winter. What would be the most attracting and beneficial crop to plant for the deer. Any responses is appreciated.

Chad
Old 12-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about Summer Food Plot?

Chad plant corn or soybeans or some of each, how big is your plot...
Old 01-01-2005, 08:41 PM

My plot is a long narrow field shaped like a horse shoe. One side is on a hill with sun hitting it pretty good. The other side is in a bottom with not much sun hitting it. I thought about corn and soybeans, but not sure if they will grow on the bottom side, because of lack of sun. Is there any thing else that would attract deer and hold deer through the early fall?

Thanks
Chad
Old 01-01-2005, 09:34 PM

If you aren't planning on harvesting the crop I would go with a mix. Mix clover, alfalfa, soybean, and even some MossyOak Biologic. This way if one crop doesn't do so good you will still have others. This will keep the deer around.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-02-2005, 05:20 PM

EarlyRiser, what all did you plant in the spring. I'm thinking of doing what Jhalfhill suggested, of using a mixture. Thats probably the best idea, since the land is soo different in moisture and sun. Appreciate the suggestions.

Chad
Old 01-05-2005, 11:25 AM

Variety is the spice of life. Plant some annuals and some perrinals. Try Extrme from Whitetail Institue. It works well, do a ph test the most important thing you can do. It will help you get results and not be discouraged with habitat improvements. Keep it simple!
[email protected]
Old 01-10-2005, 05:08 PM

Yes, I'm definately doing a ph test. I would like to plant something I can broadcast. I'm thinking about soybeans, and maybe some corn.

Chad
Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 PM

If you want to supply the deer in your locality with spring, summer, and early fall forage you should not plant corn! They only utilize the corn for a few weeks during the fall. This will not help during them during the time period the bucks and does need it the most.

It sounds like Early Riser may have a problem with too little food for the deer, or too many deer. If you plant enough food and there is natural habitat for them to use then you should not have an overgrazing problem. The same applies to farming, if you overgraze then you need more pasture, or less cattle. Each situation is different.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely suggest soybeans as a summer forage. Roundup Ready Soybeans out performed clover for us last summer (July-Sept). I agree that you might need at least 2 acres worth of Soy if you have a heavy deer population to feed. Remember to get the INOCULANT - it really does make a difference if the soil is low in Nitrogen.

You can broadcast or seed in rows - It really is a wonderful plot when sprayed with Roundup - the beans use all the soils nutrients and have few weeds to compete with - We found that even when fed on very heavily - we had alot of beans come fall. - But its the leaves in the summer months that make it a GREAT crop.

Second to soybeans (summer) - I like a hardy clover - white clover preferred.

I use corn as a Winter Staple crop. Deer rarely get into the standing corn heavily until December - or when snows exceed 1ft. I will always offer a standing corn crop (2-4 acres) - if for no other reason than to limit the damage done to the understory due to browsing, yarding deer in our area. I wished I'd taken more "before" pictures of the open hardwoods several years ago. Now, after a couple ice storms, and Many standing corn (plus Rye, clover, soybeans) acres - our understory is "coming back" in most sections.

More relavent though - the corn carries our deer through the heavy snow months of January, February and part of March - Then - the deer are more able to sustain the 6 week period prior to "green-up" (Late March-April) that can be so difficult for our northern deer herds.

An Acre of good standing corn can offer 7000-10000 lbs of Corn Ears - Nothing to sneeze at( I swear the squireels/racoons get 1/2 of it).

Corn (sometimes with reason) gets a bad rap for deer - but corn has a 9% crude protein - its not like its ZERO. Deer still supplement their diet in winter with other forages including natural browse - up to 20% protein, and other "green" forages like clover, rye, etc. if available. Optimally Wintering Deer require 14% Protien - When corn is used - a similar amount of legume forage should also be offered (soybeans, clover, alfalfa - etc.)

You can't dump in 2-3 tons of shelled corn at once in a feeder - it will kill the deer (acidosis) - but when grown responsibly - in conjunction with other forage to make up a Forage Program for your deer herd - Its really tough to beat the cost and simplicity of a standing corn crop to send your local population into the fawning/antler growth season in good shape.

FH

Quick Reply: Question about Summer Food Plot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.