Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area? >

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 01-03-2006, 11:42 PM

Default RE: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Here we keep going!!!

Have at it, I was done a few pages ago.[:@][:@][:'(][:'(]
Old 01-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted TX a few eeks back.The day befor season opened there was 20 deer standing around the feeder.On opening day there was 10 idiots that walked right to the feeder right after daylight.Well gess what the dumb hunters ran ever deer off.I was just hunting pigs so it mad no dif to me.It was a joke though.Many of the people had feeder repeaters [they sound like feeders throwing corn.I went to some feeders way away from the road.The deer stood at the feeders for hours every morning and every night.I could have killed many many 140bc and bigger deer right at the feeders.I would never have hunted over the feeders or deer for that maner in TX.I think a big bunch of the deer in TX are real close to pets.

I beleave the only reason you can not kill deer at any feeder is you [the hunter] are making mistakes.

The worst thing about where I hunted was the grass was 3 foot tall.So I do not get how the deer have to be feed to make it.I do not know how all of TX is just where I hunted.Fron the road most of tx looked like it needed no feeders.

I think deer are just like any animal.If they can get an eazy meal[with out 10 people spooking them they will stay and eat for a very long time.Maby the feeders where just in very good spots.I did not get a chance to see what it was like befor the feeders where there.I shure know the does are showing there fawns where to eat and it is not out grazing.

Not pressing buttons,just what I saw.
Charles Bradford
Old 01-05-2006, 01:43 PM

I think it depends on where you hunt and what your terrain/county/state looks like. From what I invision, I would think places like Ohio, Okla, Wisconsin, Texas, etc should remain 'natural' and let the deer roam where they want to find their food needs. However, here in NJ we are allowed to bait and I think we need to. Places I hunt are almost in people's backyards and part of my position with some towns is to assist in lowering their deer population thru archery and shotgunning. Hard to coax these deer into the woods to shoot them if you don't consistently provide bait to attract the deer from people's azaleas! People I hunt with all use feeders or bring in their own corn to throw down. Yes, it changes the deer's natural patterns, but otherwise we could not take the deer because we'd be illegally hunting too close to a building or playground, etc.

It's almost a reason I thought about writing a book on hunting in suburbia and how to successfully hunt in close proximity to neighborhoods and how to perfrom precise drives and bumps. Still might venture to write what I have learned over the last 15 years in hunting in an over-developed state and how to make it pay off!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Places I hunt are almost in people's backyards and part of my position with some towns is to assist in lowering their deer population thru archery and shotgunning. Hard to coax these deer into the woods to shoot them if you don't consistently provide bait to attract the deer from people's azaleas! People I hunt with all use feeders or bring in their own corn to throw down.
Soo...there are so many deer that the issue of population control is a problem...these deer live in woodlots that are so small that they are all over the residents lawn, but....you can't find the deer unless you bait them?

That doesn't sound very logical to me....
Old 01-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very glad it's illegal in NY.

My primary reason for huntingwith a feeder is to compete with the other land that borders our 500 acres because all of the other landis littered with them. It is kind of a necessary evil for me, but if hunting with feeders made hunting as easy a some people say, I would tag out the first week every year.
This is also why I'm glad it's illegal.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

After hunting on public land this year and putting in a lot of hours with no deer meat to show for it I got a bit upset. What did I do? I bought some land and this year I plan to put in some food plots. Although the game says this is not baiting, I believe it is and I'm all for it because I want to harvest deer with minimal time expended. I do want it to resemble hunting, but it's not REALLY hunting to me. To me it's about venison and the taste of it[:@]. Real fair chase hunting takes a lot of time which to me can be better spent doing other things. I just like bragging rights and being able to say that I bagged 6 deer and my freezer is full. The thrill of the kill also is something that I really like. I don't even consider myself a hunter, but just a guy shooting game animals, as there's not much hunt going into my "06 season other than using a compound bow to at least make it a bit of a challenge.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MarinePride

...Real fair chase hunting takes a lot of time which to me can be better spent doing other things. I just like bragging rights and being able to say that I bagged 6 deer and my freezer is full. .................................................. .................................................. . I don't even consider myself a hunter
Not many would. Just maintain some ethics and humility inthe outdoors please. Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I just dont understand why I should make hunting harder.
When i fish I put a bait on my hook, I dont fish with a plain hook to make fishing harder.
why should I make hunting as difficult as possible ?
I have one objective and thats to kill a deer, anyway I can get there as long as it legal. If baiting is legal , you damn right I,m gonna bait. I really dont care if you think I'm less of a hunter.
So do you fish with dynamite or a generator?

Yes I do fish with a generator. Opening day of walleye season you`ll find me at 4 a.m. sitting at my fishing spot with a generator with 2, 500 watt spot lights hooked up so I can see the creek bed.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

here`s a link to the bait issue thread on the mortheast side. Same old fighting.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1356301&mpage=1&key==
Old 01-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's legal here,we do it and food plots and funnels and trails and anything I can think of.If you don't like it,tough.We've never had CWD or anything else.End of story!!

Quick Reply: Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.