Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area? >

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
46.01%
No
53.99%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Should hunting over bait be illegal in your area?

Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted bth ways and prefer non baited hunting. I do not beleive a food plot is bait anymore than a cornfield is bait. I have seen the truckloads of sugar beets, pumpkins, apples, corn and evrything else thrown at deer. They go nocturnal real quick. It is also like shooting them in a controlled environment, my feeling only. In PA we have to get our salt blocks up and out 30 days prior to the opener of deer and can't put them back until the end of January (don't hold me on that date I have no h-season calender handy). If you do have ot hunt bait areas, get in between the baited sites of yu can early morn or late afternnon, or deep deep swamp and catch em' coming out or sneaking in at daylight. Nice MI bucks doing that approach.
IPSPshooter interesting comment about scent, rattling etc. Got to think on that one, although I am inclined to answer if I stink at all I'm busted (the bait pile can be full of stnk and they will eat, the rattling I can not sound correct and grunt, well I could sound like a fart and get shot by another hunter for it so..................

Last edited by Buck Hunter 1; 03-26-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing should be illegal in this country unless it interferes with someone elses rights. Let everyone do what they want to do. I am not allowed to bait where I live and I don't know if I would, if I could, but I think everyone should have the freedom to try it if they want to. The only time I have hunted over bait is for bears in Minnesota, and I took a nice bear the second evening, which was great because I didn't have the time or money to hunt longer. I hunt over salt and mineral blocks, which is legal here and not considered bait, nor is the corn or bean field that my blocks sit on the edge of. But if I pick an ear of corn or a handful of beans and drop it on the edge of the field, or if the mineral block contains a kernel of corn or a bean, thats bait!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkey guide
Nothing should be illegal in this country unless it interferes with someone elses rights. Let everyone do what they want to do. I am not allowed to bait where I live and I don't know if I would, if I could, but I think everyone should have the freedom to try it if they want to. The only time I have hunted over bait is for bears in Minnesota, and I took a nice bear the second evening, which was great because I didn't have the time or money to hunt longer. I hunt over salt and mineral blocks, which is legal here and not considered bait, nor is the corn or bean field that my blocks sit on the edge of. But if I pick an ear of corn or a handful of beans and drop it on the edge of the field, or if the mineral block contains a kernel of corn or a bean, thats bait!
I see your reasoning, but I don't think it's quite that simple. Baiting = higher success rate which could possibly = lower season limits. Bag limits have an assumptive kill ratio. Where I am in Maryland, there are no issues with baiting from this standpoint due to an overpopulation of deer. If baiting did lead to lower limits, I guess you could say it infringed on someone else's rights to harvest there share as a more skilled hunter. : )

Mike
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

i don't care how one hunts as long as it's legal. i was hopeing to see some replies from halfbaked. haven't seen ya post anything funny in a while, if you've been reading any of this i hope you throw a bone or two in on this. this popcorn is getting stale lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Spike

I definetely vote no....I think shooting deer over bait is an acceptable practice, I simply don't believe it should be allowed during"hunting season". Create a seperate late season..."bait season". That way those who choose toharvest deer in that manner can do it without affecting regular hunters.