Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Coon Hunters.........

Old 12-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Coon Hunters.........

The spot where I am hunting also is being hunted at night by coon hunters with dogs. In your opinions will this hurt my chances of seeing deer there in the mornings? Now the dogs aren't chasing them, but they are going through the woods trying to find a coon I suppose.

Will this have any effect on the deer? Will they leave that section or simply ignore them?

Old 12-01-2005, 01:32 PM

Default RE: Coon Hunters.........

We used to have that same problem here. I came out of the woods the first night of our firearms season, and heard the dogs beggining to fire-up. Also, the bear season comes in the second week of the season.

So, this year I haven't heard the dogs during deer season, and saw about the same number of deer. But, I do feel that the coon hunters do stir things upa bit with the dogs running around. If the dogs are ONLY running coon the deer may not be as disturbed, but my dad used to coon hunt and we saw just as many dogs running deer as coons.

I would rather hunt in a situation where there are no dogs running around to change the habits of the deer.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:49 PM

it will have some effect, depends on how often the coon hunters are hunting that location.i use to coon hunt and have ended up running a deer all night.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

lots of dogs run deer even if they aren't supposed to be, but if the deer around you feed in fields like they do by me, odds are the coon will stick to the woods and other cover and the dogs won't disturb very many if any deer.