Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best way to stop poachers??

Old 11-27-2005, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Best way to stop poachers??

My blood pressure has just gone down to somewhere around normal again.

Our little hunting club (myself and a few friends) hunt on about 500 acres of pretty nice land. We do everything by the books and are the most ethical and respectful hunters there are and we pride ourselves with that.

We have the woods and surrounding woods to ourselves throughout bowseason. When gun season comes around there are other parties on bordering properties and it's hunted pretty hard.

One "hunting" party in particular is poaching deer every year and I know it for a fact. They butt right up to our land. One of the treestands is about 1 foot from the property line. There has been a loooooooong history of a sour relationship between us and them. I won't get into the details of that for fear of my bloodpressure rising again[:-].

Anyway.........every now and then we'll cross paths coming and going to hunting land. Every once in awhile they'll stop and roll down the window to do the fake chat thing even though we both strongly dislike eachother. The other day I learned he has shot 3 bucks on opening day and 2 does. His father on the other side of the road has shot 4 bucks. His brother on the bordering property has shot 3 bucks and however many does. And God knows whatelse they or their friends have taken off that chunk of land[:@][:@]. They shoot deer from their front yards (probably at night too), they are road hunters, they trespass on owners lands that don't want hunters on it, and they are poaching, unethical, disrespectrul slob hunters. I'm sick of them taking 10-15 bucks with their hunting party every year.

I don't know how to stop them though. They live close by the land. They can shoot what they want and leave it untill night if they want. They can process it at someones garage. I have no idea what their method is. All I know is in NY you get 1 buck tag. ONE!!! that's it!!! They've dumped 10 in the first week between the 3 of them. I'm pissed beyond belief.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 11-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best way to stop poachers??

Video.....with the sound turned off. I found that out. Can not tape voices.

License plate number.

Chuck7
Old 11-27-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The state has a 1-800 hot line for reporting poachers and you can remain anonomous. The game warden can get a warrant and cheque the freezers and make sure that each deer has a tag. If they do not, Adious.

Bobby
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 AM

most of what i hear is all bad,i mean setting up a stand1 foot off the line or putting it on the linetree that has the no tresspassing sigh on it is bad enough but legal ,butto overkill your limit and hunting bothsides of the line is downrite poaching.If you encounter one of these jokers on your side just give a friendly wave and ask if he got a shot at that fat doe when she got stuck in the fence and when he turns away s---t him and let the buzzards have a feast. Wait no don't do that you could get in big trouble for feeding wild animals,or worse you might cause the buzzard to die from getting choked on a button then you would be charged to life in jail for killing a protected carnivore. BEST WAY TO STOP A POACHER IS IN HIS TRACKS.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is party hunting allowed there? How do you know they don't have someones tag on every deer?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

report them to the authorities. prosecute if need be. it's obvious they could care less about QDM. if the law thing doesn't work you just have to beat them to the punch on harvesting a buck. as to keeping them from poaching/breaking game laws, i don't know man thats your call on how far your willing to go on this one. don't expect miracles from the game officials/officers though. you may have to do the grunt work to get evidence that stops their behavior. good luck.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

come on theyre from NY, they cant be THAT smart.........do the fake deer in the field thing and video tape it!! I had a guy doing the treestand on the property line thing too, and he definatly was shooting onto our property......simple solution, the landowner volunteered to help me out by dressing up in orange and sitting on a bucket at the base of the tree (on his property) and watched him for about 3 days. The guy finally got enough of it and moved. He was sooooo pissed, he would whisper obsenities at the guy and and all kinds of nasty stuff but he had every right to do it.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

It`s guys like this that is causing the hunting in NY to go downhill. I remember 10 yrs ago when I started hunting I`d see 20-30 deer in my stand(a day)in Canastota now this yr I`ve seen 10(season is a week old).
Old 11-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

NY, why don't you take what you told us here to the arthorities word for word and work with them all yearif need bein solving this problem.If they don't want to act thenlook to an elected official of some sort that is simplifectic to your cause. Good luck and don't get yourself in trouble with this, do it the right way. If you have a news station in the area that does investagative reporting they might be worth a shot also.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many hours can you record with a vidcam these days? I know my older Sony has a NightShot mode that really records a high def B&W.

Any chance you could actually catch one of them on vid from your side of the fence? Even if they have other guys tags for them, if it is illegal for one guy to shoot more than 1 buck - you might have something really good on them.

Maybe leave the stand on the fenceline alone and let them feel as comfortable as possible using it. Heck plant a food plot over there. Idea is to set the trap.

I hate guys like that and I really, really hope that you do (or can get) something done about it.

It might not hurt to LET THEM KNOW that you and your party are by the book, and always look for opportunities to turn in violators. And look 'em square in the eye while saying it. Who cares if they feel accused, it's time to stop the charade. like you said, they don't like you and you don't like them.

I'd definately make the call to your conservation folks - now. Let them know you're very concerned and if there's anything you can do for them you'll be around.

Quick Reply: Best way to stop poachers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.