HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best way to stop poachers??
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 06:11 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default Best way to stop poachers??

My blood pressure has just gone down to somewhere around normal again.

Our little hunting club (myself and a few friends) hunt on about 500 acres of pretty nice land. We do everything by the books and are the most ethical and respectful hunters there are and we pride ourselves with that.

We have the woods and surrounding woods to ourselves throughout bowseason. When gun season comes around there are other parties on bordering properties and it's hunted pretty hard.

One "hunting" party in particular is poaching deer every year and I know it for a fact. They butt right up to our land. One of the treestands is about 1 foot from the property line. There has been a loooooooong history of a sour relationship between us and them. I won't get into the details of that for fear of my bloodpressure rising again[:-].

Anyway.........every now and then we'll cross paths coming and going to hunting land. Every once in awhile they'll stop and roll down the window to do the fake chat thing even though we both strongly dislike eachother. The other day I learned he has shot 3 bucks on opening day and 2 does. His father on the other side of the road has shot 4 bucks. His brother on the bordering property has shot 3 bucks and however many does. And God knows whatelse they or their friends have taken off that chunk of land[:@][:@]. They shoot deer from their front yards (probably at night too), they are road hunters, they trespass on owners lands that don't want hunters on it, and they are poaching, unethical, disrespectrul slob hunters. I'm sick of them taking 10-15 bucks with their hunting party every year.

I don't know how to stop them though. They live close by the land. They can shoot what they want and leave it untill night if they want. They can process it at someones garage. I have no idea what their method is. All I know is in NY you get 1 buck tag. ONE!!! that's it!!! They've dumped 10 in the first week between the 3 of them. I'm pissed beyond belief.[:@][:@][:@]