Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best way to stop poachers??

Old 11-28-2005, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best way to stop poachers??

Stake out your hunting area and have a video camera ready.Maybe plan on camping out for a couple days. You and your friends could alternate. Have someone drive you in anddrop-off. When they leave the neighbors will be no more wiser. Very easy to heargun shots if shooting at nite. Nite vision on video camera works great. The game department will be much more useful if you have some evidence. Good Luck!!
Old 11-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is party hunting allowed there?
No party hunting allowed other than being able to sign over 2 doe permits.

Fake deer idea is a good idea - the Cayuga County Federation of Sportsmans Clubs bought a robo deer for the DEC that is being underused. Try contacting them.

NYB - I remember you being around Owasco/Niles? If so, you are fighting generations of family/good old boy attitudes. I am south of Owasco and grew up with some, so know what you are saying. Pm me with names and if close to me, I will include them in my random drivebys which have helped a lot around me - they know I will not look the other way.

Steve
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Claymore mines would most likely detour pocahers ;&gt)

dd

Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Plain and simple contact the proper authorities! Unless you have fact and witnessed first hand its all here say! You need to go to the Game Warden and seek advice! Any other way and you could get hurt! People do stupid things when confronted with being arrested, especially when they are already breaking the law! JMO!
Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Go back after it gets dark, after you drink a Big Gulp soda (I don't know if everyone on the message board has 7-11 convenient stores so a "Big Gulp" soda is just a 64oz soft drink) and take a whiz on all of their stand trees. LMAO. You could also drop a number two on the one closest to your property if you could muster one up at the time.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very creative Tommy.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm afraid that unless your property is fenced in, there's really nothing you can do to stop them from shooting bucks that walk off your property onto theirs. Yes, I agree with you that hanging a stand that close to your property is pure BS, but as long as they are on their property, they are safe.
I don't want to give the impression that I condone this behavior at all, but unless everyone that lives in that area is doing QDM, your never going to see the fruits of your labor in a location like that. I'd highly suggest looking for another area to lease with other landowners practicing QDM around you as well. That's the only way your going to start seeing some nice bucks on your lease!!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:54 PM

tree cams and videos fellow new yorker,, trust me, it works!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm afraid that unless your property is fenced in, there's really nothing you can do to stop them from shooting bucks that walk off your property onto theirs. Yes, I agree with you that hanging a stand that close to your property is pure BS, but as long as they are on their property, they are safe.
I don't want to give the impression that I condone this behavior at all, but unless everyone that lives in that area is doing QDM, your never going to see the fruits of your labor in a location like that. I'd highly suggest looking for another area to lease with other landowners practicing QDM around you as well. That's the only way your going to start seeing some nice bucks on your lease!!

Let the poachers have their way and win? BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I don't think so.
It's way beyond a QDM deal at the moment. I'll still find a mature buck every year. I have to work a lot harder for it every year it seems.Fact is they are shooting 10 or more bucks illegally every year and that has to stop.

Thanks for the replies guys. We are going to contact our local game warden today. We have a pretty good idea of when this party gets together for an all day deer drive fiasco. We're going to try to set something up for that day.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

Steve

Quick Reply: Best way to stop poachers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.