Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stand smoking

Old 11-19-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Tree stand smoking

Does anyone have any thoughts on smoking in a tree stand? Does it scare the deer away?
Old 11-19-2005, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Tree stand smoking

Well, according to my father, it doesn't effect the deer at all. I of course, having hunted in the same stand as him many times in which he has smoked and we havent seen a darn thing, disagree with this statement. I am completely against it. Anything that can give the deer MORE leeway in a hunt is not cool by me.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

Well, according to my father, it doesn't effect the deer at all. I of course, having hunted in the same stand as him many times in which he has smoked and we havent seen a darn thing, disagree with this statement. I am completely against it. Anything that can give the deer MORE leeway in a hunt is not cool by me.
Be careful whose toes you step on today, they might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: UPHunter89

Be careful whose toes you step on today, they might be attached to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.
Nope but one might think that lol. I hunt by myself, shoot by myself (although he hunts on the land too) , drag by myself, and clean by myself. I only need his help to track the deer because he knows the land better. But then again, he does drive me to the stand....
Old 11-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

i have a friend who smokes, ****s, plays yahtzee on a little hand-held jobber, pisses and whispers on the talkie or phone and he always shoots a good buck. i know smoking doesn't scare them, then again you'll probably go out tomarrow, light up a cancer stick and make a 26 pointer piss himself scared and high tail it in the other direction. good luck and do your part as a responsible hunter....kill a slob.

THE FOOT
Old 11-19-2005, 06:24 PM
bigcountry

I would say the answer is, it depends. If they hunt a place like the suberbs where there's alot of smoke or alot of scent in the woods and the deer are used to it, might not make much of a difference. With a rifle, you might not get busted, but I bet you if your in place where they don't get much pressure, the smoke will make them nervous. I know I can smell a guy smoking if downwind of him. I wouldn't do it.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, lets see, I wash my clothes in no scent soap, bath in no scent detergent, wear scent blocker clothes, spray with scent eliminator and cover up. Would it be worth all that if I smoked? I can honestly say I have had many deer around my stand this year up and down wind of me and none have busted me. Now to say guys who smoke dont kill deer is outrageous but in certain situations I bet I will keep a deer near my stand that woulndt be there if I smoked. I cant see going through all of the trouble if there is a 1% 2% or 3% chance that I MAY spook a deer. Its just not worth it.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:05 PM

I agree. Smoking eliminates the point of the scent-free process. Why do all that hard work to take scent out of your clothing but smoke and put scent right back in? It's goofy and pointless and a waste of time/money. 2nd, my dad has scent eliminator sprays and cover scent sprays and all and uses it frequently. But when I ask him what the point is when he smokes in the stand anyway, the look on his face is priceless. Ahhh, hunting. Not to mention that if you get caught with a smoke in your mouth/hand and a whopper walks out....you might be a little tied up huh?