Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Smoking in the stand? >

Smoking in the stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smoking in the stand?

Old 10-29-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Smoking in the stand?

Sorry to admit it but i am a smoker. I have always heard not when hunting and have followed that advice but lately ive been hearing a lot of stories that say deer arent bothered by cigarette smoke.

Dont know that i would change but just wondering if anyone had any advice or experience on this subject.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smoking in the stand?

My dad smokes in the stand & he kills mega deer... I don' t think it helps your chances, but if you are playing the wind.... ?...
Old 10-30-2003, 08:43 AM

Yeah smoking is bad.I do it all the timeWhat I have heard is it is more the movement of smoking and not so much the smoke that makes it bad for hunting.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:59 AM

I do it. I try not to during the very peak hours ( I' ve seen more deer around 7am and again at 9am than any other time, so I try not to around those times). It keeps me posted on what the thermals are doing also.

I did have a button buck almost run over me one day when I was sitting on the ground smoking. He jumped a fence and came right at me, sliding to a stop not 5 feet away. I' m not sure who was more startled. But I can tell you, deer turn inside out during moments like those!!!! LOL
Old 10-30-2003, 11:15 AM

Smoking doesn' t seem too bad. Got an Uncle with 4 wall mounters and he had a ciggarette in his mouth every time.

Chewing snoose is another story. I think deer smell that and are more leary of it than smoking.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:11 PM

I carry a " victory cigar" with me in the woods. After I shoot a deer I like to sit and reflect on the shot while I' m wating for the animal to expire prior to tracking. A couple of years ago I was having an awful season interms of seeing deer, so one day I decided to smoke my cigar while in the wood. Sure enough with in a couple of minutes I had a heard of does passing thru. It didn' t seem to bother them in the slightest bit. I don' t think it helped but it certainly didn' t hurt the hunt.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:52 PM

Smoked in the stand for years,and harvested a lot of deer in spite of my bad habit.After I quit(about 20 years ago)can' t say I see more deer.Guess if the deer are going to wind you,smoking can' t make that much difference,if the wind is in your favor.

Joe
Old 10-30-2003, 06:18 PM

i used to smoke in the stand, then i went to the nicorete gum, then i just plain quit smoking, just couldn' t spend all the time trying to be scent free and smoke at the same time. now i do enjoy a fine cigar once in awhile.[:-]