Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smoking in the tree stand?

Old 10-01-2005, 05:56 PM

Default smoking in the tree stand?

i have always wondered but never got a real strait answer on this. some people tell me that you can smoke in the tree stand and it won't effect your hunting and then some people have told that it will.. just looking for some opinions..
Old 10-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Default RE: smoking in the tree stand?

They will for sure smell it but then again my dad shot a deer while puffing on a cigarette, so Its really hard to know. Im sure it cannot be good for the hunt though.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Play it safe and just don't. All personal anectdotes to the side I havehard time believing that deer just blow off cigarette smoke and yet are so finally atuned to every other human odor there is.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm an avid smoker! Love the taste. It's gonna kill me someday, and I know I should quit, blah, blah. Yet, somehow, when I go hunting, I have no real problem not smoking. Ever walk into a room an hour after smoking and someone says "wow, were you just smoking?" (or tried to hide it from your wife?) If a human can smell it today, a deer smelled it yesterday. Think about this also, if you need to leave the stand, the odor is in your clothing and will stay until you wash them. Kinda defeats the purpose of cammoflauge, cover scent, etc. Especially if you stalk instead of using a stand.

I usually save my smoking for the night around the campfire. For some reason,a good cigar at night instead of 10 cigarrettes during the day is much better when I'm camping/hunting.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:14 PM

I do not smoke but my grandpa does. I asked him one day if the deer smelled it and he said he was sure they did but that he had kill prob over half of his deer after lighting one.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I smoke while on stand and I can honestly say the only times, which have been few, that I've been busted was because of movement. No other reason! Nobody can tell me that a deer knows the differance between cigg. smoke and smoke from someonesnearby chimney. I always keep my camo in zipp locksto keep them oder free so I do'nt smell. When I do smoke, it simply rises then disapates without a problem.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:17 PM

I don't smoke but my father does when he hunts. And he does it a lot too! When I 1st started, and me and him were together in a stand, I hated it. But now I hunt alone so I could care less. He'll drive the deer to me!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: elgallo114

I'm an avid smoker! Love the taste. It's gonna kill me someday, and I know I should quit, blah, blah. Yet, somehow, when I go hunting, I have no real problem not smoking. Ever walk into a room an hour after smoking and someone says "wow, were you just smoking?" (or tried to hide it from your wife?) If a human can smell it today, a deer smelled it yesterday. Think about this also, if you need to leave the stand, the odor is in your clothing and will stay until you wash them. Kinda defeats the purpose of cammoflauge, cover scent, etc. Especially if you stalk instead of using a stand.

I usually save my smoking for the night around the campfire. For some reason,a good cigar at night instead of 10 cigarrettes during the day is much better when I'm camping/hunting.

I smoke Arturo Fuentes!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have heard so many conflicting stories abotu this. i know my dad used to smoke when he took me hunting. never really affected the hunt. I somehow always managed to sit down wind from him too, no matter which side i was on. Sometimes when i smell someone smoking, exspecially when its cold out, it reminds me of hunting as a kid.

but i will say this:
if you smoke and hunt, you should quit. My dad smoked for years, and it definately affected him. You ever help a smoker drag a deer? they stop every couple seconds to breath, takes an hour to move 100 yards. My dad quit smoking and by the next hunting season he could feel how much better he could breath. he could walk around all day hunting and drag deer out, going longer and further between rest stops.

you want to improve your hunting? then improve your breathing. you dont want to spend months planning just to be busted because you cant walk up a hill without panting and weezing.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:18 AM
Spike

I'm pretty sure that they can smell it, but I've shot a couple now with a cig hanging out of my mouth. Quit in January so it won't be an issue this year. I'm thinking the movement required to smoke will spook them as much as the smell.

Quick Reply: smoking in the tree stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.