Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smoking in the stand

Old 12-27-2002, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default smoking in the stand

I have heard people say that they can't kill a deer unless they smoke in a treestand. Does anybody here smoke in a treestand and do you have good luck.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:21 PM

Default RE: smoking in the stand

I don't think it matters, I know people that even smoke grass(pot) while hunting and it almost seems to have helped them. I'm not a smoker so all I know is what I've seen or heard.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bucky I smoke, but I try not to smoke on stand, but I will say that on more than one occasion I have put one out to kill a deer!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-27-2002, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to smoke and it never bothered my hunting as far as I knew .I'm sure it does though to some extent . Its just one more smell to alert the deer so it must have some effect .
Old 12-27-2002, 03:17 PM

I smoke but I dont leave buts I put them out and bag them, atleast I know which way the wind is blowing, Ive killed every year I dont think it matters
Old 12-27-2002, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

This is gonna turn into a "better than you" topic, but I can't count the times I had to put one out to kill a deer. I'm not much of a bowhunter but I do some. Don't seem to matter. I smoke, chew, dip and have never found it to be a problem. Yes I have some wallhangers. Some with bow some with gun. I live in a heavily congested area . They hear horns honking, sirens, cars, dogwalkers pass by every minute. My circumstance might not be the same as yours. Now I don't smoke "the good stuff", but we had a deer as a pet when I was a kid and he would eat a cig evertime you gave him one.

Good Luck. Capt Brad.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also cant count how many times I've had to put one out to kill a deer. But , at the same time , I wonder how many deer I've never seen because they caught my motion while smoking before I ever seen them. I dont believe the smell bothers them at all , it's the movement that concerns me. My new years resolution is to become a non-smoker. I guess I'll have to find something else to check the wind direction.

<---Doug---<<<
Old 12-27-2002, 06:15 PM
Spike

I really think it has to do with the terrain that you hunt, as well as which way the wind is blowing. Where I hunt I am sorta stuck with trees everywhere and deer will have to usually get pretty close &quot;within 25 to 35 yards&quot; to get a shot off. Maybe just not comfortable enough to take a shot with such a small margin through the limbs. In that case I dont think smoking would be the best option. On the other hand I was getting mad because I had not seen any deer &quot;while not smoking&quot; and ended up smoking 2 cigs in a row and when I put the butt out. I ended up having a decent size buck come right in front of me at about 20 yards. I ened up getting a clean shot at around 30 yards. Yet the wind I guess was in my favor. Mainly in my face, but on the top of a ridge it sorta swirls a lot. I think if the wind is right, then you have a better chance. Someone told me on this site last week to think like a deer. I guess if I smelled something for the first time, I would be a little apprehensive about going near the smell. Then again I am not a deer and really am not sure what he or she thinks about the effects of smoking.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:43 PM

I have quite a few members at our club that smoke while they hunt. You can still climb trees and find butts wedged in between the bark of the trees.

I wish they would bag thier butts but more than often they leave them in the trees!

To answer your question all of these hunters nail deer. Now, remember they are pretty high in tree and this may help with the deer not locating a direction?

I don't smoke, and if I did I personally wouldn't smoke in the woods.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 12-27-2002, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a smoker but I dont smoke when hunting. I prefer to use nicotene gum to tide me over while hunting. Works for me.

Quick Reply: smoking in the stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.