Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First time hunter advice

Old 10-27-2005, 06:19 PM

Default First time hunter advice

I live on 500 acres that hasn't been hunted for about 3 or 4 years. There is about 160 acres of woods with a little pond in the middle. There is also an old logging trail going threw the woods also. On the trail there is about 50 rubs and about 20 or 30 scraps on the ground and some of the rubs are on trees up to 4 or 5"s thick. There has been a few big bucks spoted in this area, one with drop tines. I have not seen anything bigger than an 8 pointer. What is everyones advice on getting this big buck. I am a first year hunter and I am hooked.
Thanks for any help
Old 10-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First time hunter advice

Welcome to the board.
Always hunt the wind.
Make sure your approach to the hunting area isquiet and that the wind is in your favor.
I assume you have a climber or ladder stand watching the logging road. Don't try to hunt it unless the wind is right, keep quiet and move slowly in your stand.
Don't ramble around in your hunting area.
Hunt all the available hours you can as long as the wind is right.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Rick,

First of all if you need a hunting partner just let me know.

It sounds like you already know wha tto look for . Scrapes are serious signs of a close buck. That is the circular pawing marks made by a deer . I always look for a thick area where a deer can hide and get sun and yeta close water supply near such as a marsh or small stream. Difffently a trail of fresh tracks is a must. Sounds like yo have alot of activity there. If there is a food supply like acorns , near by fields of grain or hay crops that is diffently a plus as well. They have to eat and bed. You need to figure out the busiest route they are taking to do these 2 things.
God bless my friend and you can't be too safe,
Chuck7
Old 10-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

I would also try hunting near that pond. Look for trails near it. You could also try hunting filed edges and ridges.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a more expierenced hunter to go with you. To me thats about the best way to learn.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:55 AM

Use a spotlight at night. Or just lure them in with food. Don't worry about a big buck your first time. Just worry about experience.