Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Got to shoot Long Range Hunter for the first time, advice?? >

Got to shoot Long Range Hunter for the first time, advice??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got to shoot Long Range Hunter for the first time, advice??

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got to shoot Long Range Hunter for the first time, advice??

Well i picked it up yesterday got a Burris 3x9 with ballistic plex mounted and took it out today and shot it about 20 times. I was hoping for alot better results but i guess i will have to spend some time with different loads. I was using 100grns ffgT7 and Barnes 250g spitfire tmz. It was holding about 3-4inch group at 100yds. I tried swabbing in between shots, skipping a shot,lube in between shots. I didnt try to adjust different loads of powder it started raining. The Spitfire seem to load very easy, maybe to easy. IHopefully i can get it straightened out and shoot alot better, i was hoping for these groups at 200yds........any ideas on loads i should try ???
Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got to shoot Long Range Hunter for the first time

Normally they claim the Barnes will shoot real good... I shoot a .430 diameter 300 grain XTP out of a crushed rib sabot with real good results. You can also try some shockwaves in 250 grain. All you can do is try different things. At least you got to shoot... Also if you have any Pyrodex RS, give that a try instead of Triple Se7en. It might be more fowling, but it is a very consistent powder. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

As Dave said try Rs or my knights like FFF T7 and 105 and 110 grns and 250 gr bullets. Also shoots 300 gr xtps real good.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

I think i will give the XTP's a try in 250 and 300, i see they have regular xtp and magnum, which would you guys recommend ? What about sabots, hornady lists it as .452 diameter ??? Thanks for all the advice, its greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the reg 300gr .452 in a harvester crushrib or a mmp24
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try stoking it up a bit. I shoot the same bullet with 130 grains of loose 3F-777. If you are shooting the pellet's get rid of them. Put a drill stop on your range rod to make sure your seating depth is consistent. Run one wet patch and four or five dry patches between each shot. Tom.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got to shoot Long Range Hunter for the first time, advice??

ORIGINAL: revpilot

The Spitfire seem to load very easy, maybe to easy.
There is your problem, if it loads too easy, then the sabot will NOT engage the rifling properly and you will get blowby in your sabot. You need a thicker sabot--an MMP12. You need to have a "Goldilocks Sabot" now what is a Goldilocks sabot? It is "just right". Remember Goldilocks sat on the beds and the first was too hard, the 2nd was too soft but the third was 'just right'. Sabots are the same way.
Some are too hard going down, you have to pound them with a hammer. Some are too easy, like yours, but some are "just right". Just right is TIGHT, but not pound it down the barrel tight. IN ALL CASES, loading with a swabbed barrel is necessary, since a "just right" sabot will usually NOT go down a dirty barrel. So get some MMP12's and get some Crushed Rib sabots, both can be bought here:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0021150045HPH

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H15045BR

Now if the SpitFire has a boat tail design, I think the TMZ does, then you have to place a #8 washer in the sabot so the bullet can sit on it, the #8 washer keeps the sabot tight to the rifling.The TMZ has a special designed sabot. Also try the Knight Red Hot, whichis specially made for Knight Rifles by Barnes, they SHOULD have atighter fit.

Try these procedures and let us know how you do.

Best wishes.

Chap Gleason
Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Igot some good deals, at least ithink i didat the local Dicks sporting goods last night. I got a bunch of different stuff to try, hopefully one of these will work in the LRH . They had all their ML stuff 50 % or moreoff

240 gr XTP 7.97 for 30
300 gr XTP 7.97 for 30
250 SW yellow tip 7.97 for 15
250 SW blue tip 7.97 for 15

Im crossing my fingers one of these will shoot good in the LRH
Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chap is giving you some very good advice. The MMP12 was designed for the knight rifles and usually works the best in them. The sabot is very important worry about how they fit first then when you have the right fit try different bullets and powders . Lee
Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Lee, is that the black sabot for .451 that i would want ?? Thanks Bob

Quick Reply: Got to shoot Long Range Hunter for the first time, advice??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.