Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

first time hunter need advice

Old 11-23-2002, 08:31 AM

Default first time hunter need advice

this is my first hunting season and i was wondering if any experienced hunters could give this first timer so very useful tips any tips would be appreciated i was also wondering if any hunters from north carolina could tell me some good spots in eastern nc to hunt at also wolud like to know of any gear that i need to purchase b4 my first hunt
Old 11-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: first time hunter need advice

First off let me welcome you to this board and sport, they are both great. If you have specific questions regarding tech, help that is usually better to ask than vague, you'll get way more responses.(where your hunting (farm, bush), treestand, ground blind, buck does, using calls, horns scent...etc)

But I will tell you what I tell everyone:

First and foremost be safe and know what is behind your target at all times. If hunting with partners or buddies know where they are located...safety first. (now that is out of the way)

Be: Patient, attentive and still. relish every moments your hunting, it is truly awesome. Shoot want you want,not what somebody else wants...meaning we all have to start somewhere. Hunt with the wind in your favor...this is the most difficult of the rules of deer hunting for the new. Deer rely heavily on their sense of smell, if your scent (and yes we all have scent) is blowing to them they will bolt or stay in thick. What you want to do is have your scent or the wind blowing away from where the deer will approach from. Their are ways to eliminate scent...do a search on this, many posts in the past several months on this subject with array of ideas. Have fun and good luck.

As too gear you'll need a similar post only a couple of days ago was on hear, check it out it covered the basics and more.

Can't help with your local but I am sure many can on here. Another spot is your local gun or hunting shop, just ask some guys where, etc.

Oh did I say have fun and good luck!

Old 11-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Shawn, welcome to the board, it is good to have you here. Several things that you need to let us know before we can give you specific info.
1- where are you hunting from, ie. ground, ground blind, treestand?
2- What are you hunting with, ie. rifle, shotgun, bow?
3- Have you ever shot any of these before?
4- Where are you hunting, woods-flatland, woods-hills, clearings, etc.
5- How old are you?
6- Have you taken a hunter safety course?

With a little more info on you and your area and how you would like to hunt, then we can give you more info.
As to, locations to hunt, go to the South Forum and post there for places in your area. Also, you could email any of the members from NC and ask them. To find some of these, click on members at the top of the page and type NC into the search box, click on the names and it will show you the email addy's.
There is a wealth of information to be had on this site, wejust need some more specifics.

The best of luck in all your hunting endeavors!!!

God Bless,
Dave
Old 11-23-2002, 07:42 PM

Tips:
1. Practice.
2. Identify your target.
3. Identify what's BEHIND the target.
4. Shoot when the conditions are right, and you know nothing except the animal will get shot.
5. If the deer are moving, running, etc... Whissle, grunt, bark, etc. They will stop to find out what the noise was, but they will pinpoint your location that you better be ready to shoot when you whissle, grunt, etc.
6. Practice.
7. You have many more hunts ahead of you. Don't kill another human being because you're too excited to follow tips #2, #3, #4, and of course #1.
8. Enjoy. You have no idea how much fun it is to deer hunt!
Old 11-24-2002, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Don't know if you already have but if you haven't, take a Hunters Safety Course. The things you can learn in it will carry you through the rest of your hunting career.

MassBowhunter
"Climb Higher, Look Lower, Fall Asleep Less"
Old 11-24-2002, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definatly safety first, and treat your gun, the land, your hosts, and the animals with respect. Doing this will ensure that you get invited back, and you won't be hurting the hunting interests the way many slobs do.
As for the hunt itself the best advice I can give is slow down, always look and listen, and spend as much time in the woods as possible, your not going to harvest anything sitting in the camp.
Good luck

"guns aren't for killing people, guns are for killing dangerous and delicious animals"
- Homer Simpson