Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong? >

cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 PM

Default cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

this is only my 3rd year deer huntint. my first year i killed alot of does and seen 5 nice bucks. my first day ever my arrow slipped and 3 really nice bucks ran out of the corn pile. the same year i got buck fever and missed a nice 8pt, and also missed a nice 10pt cause i bumped the scope and it was shootin 6ft off. last year i didn't even see one buck besides a few spikes. this year im ready. i got a new scope, corn feeders and everything. but still, all im seeing is does. im huntin the wind right. i got my stand set up about 30 yds fron the corn pile. i see alot of does and spikes but i dont see bucks anymore like i did my first year hunting? i just dont understand it. i really want to get my first buck this year and im willing to do whatever it takes to get what ive been tring so hard for. but it seems like everybody else is seeing bucks but me. im hunting on my uncles land which is about 150acres. people have told me to get off the cord pile and get about 100-200 yds closer to the bedding area off the trail. well, i dont know where the bedding area is...there is so many cutovers around here i dont know which one they are coming from. i tried following the trail but it seems the trails split and i dont know which one to follow. i havn't seen any sign of rubs in the area but i know there has got to be at least a 4pt in the area somewhere. if i could just get a shot on a 4pt i would be happy. then i could set higher goals. mabey someone could tell me what im doing wrong.

oh yeah. i got one of my stands set up off the corner of a cutover and thicket in the woods between to fields. and i got another set up in the woods with a pond and fields about 100yds from the feeder. is this a good setup?

thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

welcome born2, looks like murphy has set up camp at your place, be perpared, if you knew your scope was off/bumped/gun dropped or whatever, you have to be sure of those things[:@], as far as the does comin to the corn pile if they are comin the bucks will too when the rut kicks in, on the bedding area, relocate your stand, try huntin a few hundred yards closer to where you think they should be comming from, move up the trail, big bucks from my limited experience with corn piles is they don't show till dark, it will happen, but you have to make adjustments... good luck i believe you'll score soon, then we want you to post some pics
Old 10-17-2005, 09:59 PM

so you think if i keep my stand where im seeing does and just wait, ill see a buck when the rut kicks in? should i put any kind of scents of my boots while i walk to the stand. what about tinks 69?

i should have checked the scope. but imust have bumped it while it was in the truck. but yeah i was sittin up there a a 10pt came walkin about 20yds from me and as soon as i got a shot i shot one time and he ran about 10ft and stopped, then i shot again, and he started walkin away and i shot again and again. then he ran. i just knew i got him. i stayed out of school the next day looking for him all day in the rain i was so excited. after finding no sign of him or blood the night before i gave up and went and shot the riffle and it wouldn't even hit a sheet of plywood at 150yds. it made me sick. but ive already learned from a bunch of mistakes.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Born, I feel your pain. I've been there. I got complacent with my rifle/scope a few yrs back and it cost me. I had an easy shot at a really nice 8 pt. Like you, after I shot, it just looked towards me. I shot again, and it just walked off. I sat there in a daze for about 30 minutes, then my dad shows up and wants to know where's the deer. After checking my gun, I was 6 inches high at 50 yds. I had not sighted my gun in before the season, because "it was always right on". Needless to say, it wont happen again.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hey man. S*** happens just stay out in the woods, maybe invest in some game cams and try to find movement patterns better and some estrus or doe pee may help also. But don't get too frustrated, it will work out in the end.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would be trying to locate where and what the bucks are doing, looking for rubs and scrapes....

ive already learned from a bunch of mistakes.
i can relate, sometimes those are the best because we tend to remember them the best, and not let it happen again, when you hit the woods you owe it to the game you persue to be on target.... and yes the bucks will get after the does during the rut, the rut will depend on what part of the country you in, here the best hunting for me is after x-mas till the close of our season, it will vary from area to area, the deer could show up anytime of the day or night, also, on the tinks,i have had deer walk right in were i had used tinks, walked right to the stand, its not magic and may never happen again, and i believe there are better scents, i have had good luck during the rut with code blue, best of luck, kill a big'un do your part and everything will fall into place

Old 10-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

As to the Tinks, I would not put any lure/attractant on my boots. The deer have been known to follow a trail of it, and see you before your ready. Put it out in a good shooting spot from your stand. If you want to put anything on your boots, try fox urine or some of the other cover scents to help cover your human scent. I think it kind of confuses them at times.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing for sure, you got to change your name.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

i spray myself with scent away while i'm getting dressed (i'm not actually spraying on skin) just layered over clothes including my boots and socks then walk to my stand , this is my very first year hunting deer and i guess i have been very lucky as the first deer taken by me last week was a 80 lb spike.

i'm not sure if it really helps to put it on your boots , but it makes me feel alot more comfortable to know that i did everything to keep my scent down with just gives me piece of mind, plus the buck i show came downwind from me and never even smelled anything i think.. other then the buck-snort that was on the tree about 10 yards away from the tree stand.

that's where he went right after he came out of the woods...here like alot of places i can't hunt over corn piles so we have to do it different here.all i know is the scent away stuff gives me alot of peice of mind for $ 5 ,- and i feel it's more then worth it. confidence plays a part too i personally think.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really wouldn't waste any time or effort worrying about it. Antlers taste like cr*p anyway. If your hunting is bringing does past you, the bucks will follow- especially leading into, during and just after the rut.

Is that all that matters to folks? Buck, buck, buck. Sounds like all the magazines and "hunting" shows.

Quick Reply: cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.