Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong? >

cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cant kill a buck!!!? what am i doing wrong?

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

I really wouldn't waste any time or effort worrying about it. Antlers taste like cr*p anyway. If your hunting is bringing does past you, the bucks will follow- especially leading into, during and just after the rut.

Is that all that matters to folks? Buck, buck, buck. Sounds like all the magazines and "hunting" shows.
well there are people here that can only shoot 1 or 2 deer a season so i can understand they want the buck , for us in the south where the limits are 10 and higher we take does for the freezer aswell...then again they have either sex weekend here , so you can only shoot a doe on saturday or sunday , unless you have tags then you can harvest them during the week aswell... i guess it keeps the hunter from shooting all the does.

last year harvest records for my state was showing about as much does as bucks taken , orfourse this is a bunch of you know what , as there are enough people that shoot more does then bucks and they cut them up before they get caught. i know it's not the way , but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Can't imagine being able to take 10 deer. Here in East Texas, most counties allow you to only take 1 buck, and 1 doe. In some cases, you have to have a permit for the doe. They are alloted according to the number of acres/deer population you hunt on, I think. I hunt on 1150 acres, and we are given usually 12 doe tags a yr. We have 12 members, so everyone is able to take one doe. 10 deer! Man that would be worth the effort. Sometimes not so sure for 1 or 2 deer.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Barnard in Bama you can legally kill around 200 a year.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is your bait or feeders in a large opening? If so does will come in with disregard while the bucks will hang back or even use it as a scrape checking the downwind side before coming in or at night. If this is the case try setting up your stand in the shadows or brush off the bait. You mentionwhere the trail splits is this wooded area that is relatively safe to the deer or is it directly behind your corn in close proximity? If a bit back this might the best spot with not really knowing which way they use most or head to bed. Often bucks follow such game paths laterally but cross over just to keep tabs on the others, an intersect is a likely place for this to occur. The only gotcha isbeing winded by the deer already passing the stand to the bait but if your in a tree stand you may be ok. The other option is move your bait into the bush, may have to clear a small area to create shooting lanes but it will allow for bucks to feel safe. The key with making your sit time more productive is safety, deer are very skidish by nature and as such move more freely in the safe confines of bush or brush..so I would be looking for such an area.

While it is true does will bring bucks during the rut to your bait, one must be willing to sit the entire day as those bucks can show at any time. Peak hours are always going to be a good bet but close to the rut and during I have found midday very productive(however I hunt area that offer safety so your midday mileage may vary). As far as scent I agree don't wear it on your body, you want to attract them but not to you! Place them upwind in shooting lanes and around your location.

Keep the faith and only wayto shot a buck iskeep trying. Good Luck
Old 10-19-2005, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Even though I know its easier said then done ...just be patient ..if you have found the doe's .... just stay on them ...as the rut approches you'll start seeing the bucks ... seems like even when the corn won't bring them in the poontang will ....

ROLL TIDE BEAT THOSE VOLS
DD
Old 10-19-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang tough, hunt hardand things should work out. Consider yourself fortunate that you're hunitng areas where you see and shoot a lot of deer. If you want to know what frustration can be like, pack up your stuff and come hunt NH. You can hunt days here without ever seeing a deer. Good Luck to ya!