Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bad shot...wrong buck...but he's down... >

Bad shot...wrong buck...but he's down...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad shot...wrong buck...but he's down...

Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Bad shot...wrong buck...but he's down...

To make a long story short, I had a small buck come in looked like a spike or 3 ptr, he was badly injured and I decided to take him out, he was limping very badly. anyway, he went behind me and stayed behind me where i could not see him, I heard another deer come up, but never saw it, soooo, when the buck made two steps forward and offered a shot I took it... sounds great right?? well I shot him high and drilled him in the spine and he dropped...not what I want to do, but he's down..sounds good right?? NOT!! A secondlater the crippled buck hobbles out behind me and staggers away!!! There was two bucks there and i did not know it!! I shot the wrong buck!!! Im not on mangement program, but he was certainly not what i wanted to shoot this year, I thought I was doing the humane thing, and it back fired... SO....1. Im a retard. 2. My bow is way too loud.. 3. I need to stop shooting deer in the spine! 4. He will eat good.. 5. I hope my bow can be quieter with some adjustments.. PICS Will be up as soon as Swampcollie sends em...
Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad shot...wrong buck...but he's down...

Congrats either way Vab!! **** happens!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live by point #4 lol
Old 10-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

SO....1. Im a retard. 2. My bow is way too loud.. 3. I need to stop shooting deer in the spine! 4. He will eat good.. 5. I hope my bow can be quieter with some adjustments..
LOL!

Congrats on whatever you got VA... [8D]

My friend did that 3 years ago with his ML....2 bucks dogging a doe in and out of cedars around his stand-- the buck he thought he shot was a hammer, but the one he actually did shoot was a dink. Boy was he pissed...and to make things worse - after the shot, the big one walked over and stared at the dead 5pt laying there for like 30 seconds. My friend is alltagged out now and about to puke. LOL, I still razz him about it.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll email you the whole bunch Landon... here is the one from the P&Y picture thread!!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the deer man, what kind of bow do you shoot?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks wahoo, I shoot a Bowtech Ally..
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Landon...You will be eating backstraps brother!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Your heart was in the right place and yes he will be some good eating.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

SO....1. Im a retard. 2. My bow is way too loud.. 3. I need to stop shooting deer in the spine! 4. He will eat good.. 5. I hope my bow can be quieter with some adjustments.. PICS Will be up as soon as Swampcollie sends em...
1) Brother you put us on the X this evening! And I greatly appreciate it too! I had a great time. It was a blast.

2) Yes it is

3) Better in the spine than in the guts... at least you didn't drag me all over Chesterfield county after a deer you thought you were putting out of its misery. Spine shots get a bad rap sometimes.

4) Part of him already has eaten good.

5) Did you shoot it in the yard at all after messing with it a bit.... I'm sure that with the STS being moved a bit closer to the string, the limbsavers and a slight decrease/evening out of poundage that you'll be swift silent and equally as deadly again. Just don't let Pat's get toowild with it. If they try and monkey with your rest or anything like that take it away from them and I'll come back up and mess with it on Wednesday next week. Might be a good excuse to try that buck again.

Quick Reply: Bad shot...wrong buck...but he's down...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.