Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rediculas

Old 10-13-2005, 10:25 AM

Default rediculas

Its almost depressing how times change. I remember growing up and grandfather would go deer hunting on anyones land and they didn't care. Now days, you would get locked up for just stepping on their land.

I remember growing up and my grandfather would go hunting in his work clothes, blue jeans, white teeshirt. To be honest I don't recall him ever wearing anything gree. I remember he would kill more deer than we would know what to do with. I bet I have over 100 racks of his in my atic. Now days everyone has to buy the top of the line camo clothes, with the top of the line boots and pants.

I also remember he would hunt with a slug in a shotgun and the only other gun he had was a 30-30 and he very rarely hunted with that. Alot like me, he would shoot a deer and it would drop dead in his tracks, there was no missing, tracking the deer or wounding it. Now days people can't shoot good enough to hit the ground if they aimed at it. They have to have the biggest gun, like they are pretending to be a military sniper. Its like after they watch a movie they have to go out and buy a gun they seen in a movie because they think that is thebest one to use to kill a poor deer.

Stand, oh yes deer stands, my grandfather never hunted out of a stand, he would set up against a tree. If he ever did hunt out of a stand, he built one in a tree himself. Now days people walking into a woods for deer hunting are packing so much ****, it lookes like they are going to hike up the Hymalyan moutains.

Back then he hunted for meat, meat and more meat. We ate every bit of it. He cleaned his own deer and thats what we ate. If it wasn't deer, it was rabbit, if not rabbit then squirrel if not squirrel it was quail. Now days people hunt for the sport, for the fun of it, which i don't guess theres nothing wrong with that but like I said times have changed and its scary to me.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: rediculas

If you emulate your grand father then you will be like him. Sounds like a great roll model to me. Changes and good examples start with you. How will your grand son reflect on you? Think about it!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:41 PM

I don't agree with you that it's ridiculous that people can't just hunt on any land they want. Private property is just that, and with the population being so much bigger than when your grandpa was younger, it's just natural that this is toughter than it was.As the years went by from your grandpa's day to now, if any land owner just encountered one Bozo, that would spoil it for everyone coming afterward. It's bound to happen as the years go by, not because people are more Bozo-like now, but eventually as the years go by, we're all likely to encounter one. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, I agree with you that people tend to go overboard with "stuff" whether it be clothes, guns, stands, what have you. I tend to think it's overboard, but I understand - people just like to spend dough on their hobbies, if they have money to spend. On the other hand, I know a lot of very good hunters nowadays who just wear regular clothes (with orange if need-be) and carry a plain jane rifle, shotgun or whatever. No big deal either way to me. I'm in the middle. I bought the essentials to get started. Every year I tend to buy some thing or another that I think will either make hunting more fun, more comfortable, more effective,or easier.

Thing is,three factors were probably in play for your grandpa: first, he probably didn't have a lot of money to spend on it so he just hunted with what he had. Second, there just weren't the products abounding even if he did have the money to spend. For example,the difference in stuff like tree stands between 15 years ago and now - back thenI wouldn't have considered them because they were so crude and hard to use. Spending money on more essential stuff, we took the time andbuilt (and still do) simple to elaborate tree stands. But as the years go by, we find excellent commercial climbing and ladder stands. We think they are more comfortable and SAFER than the tree stands we build. Also, as deer patterns change, they can be moved around, are quicker to set up than nailing a home made stand together and, imho, are much safer year-to-year than a home built tree stand that rots over the summer. In essence, as the years go by, we trade $150 for the hassle of carrying lumber into thewoods, spending time building it, being more comfortable, and not having to worry aboutclimbing upboards nailed into a tree trunk and sitting on a platform that may be rotted from last year. But again, we didn't do this stuff right away, we're kind of "building and inventory of stuff" over the years as it seems to make sense and we can afford it.

Finally,there were about half the people in the country as there are now. Techniques could be simpler because of less pressure,and land owners were more receptive to hunters because they probably knew you (locals), just didn't get that many requests, and hadnt' been burned by a Bozo yet.

Just another point of view.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mad,
Do you listen tyo 8 track tapes or CD's? (just a rhetorical question)

Fact is that change is not always bad. Hopefully you would agree that modern tree stands are far more safe than the 2x4 and some nails treestands that some folks use. Is that bad?

Don't get me wrong, I own andhunt witha 30-30 but are there better cartridges out there. I would say yes. Is it wrong to use them? I don't think so.
What is wrong with packing a lot of things to hunt all day (possibly 12-13 hours at a time) ? I carry extra clothing with me to deal with the changes in temp or precipitation without having to hike back several milesto the truck. Is thatreally rediculous?

If I only get to hunt a 6-7 days a year why not make my chances the best possible. Like wearing Camo, Is it wrong? Is it better to wear blue jeans and a white tee shirt when camo is available to me?

There is nothing wrong with tradition. I just don't think that whenpeople take advantage of some technology it is rediculous.

couldn't the same be said about your grandfather when heused his 30-30 . I bet there was someone back thenlike you saying Geez, a 30-30, My granfather used a musket and ball to hunt. What'll they think of next.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:17 PM

I never said any of it was WRONG, the whole thread was about how rediculas I think things are now days. My grandfather had money he worked all his life, and saved every penny, there was plenty of things to buy for hunting etc but he just chose not to do so. For example, I remember, he carried a .22 6 shot revolver everywhere he went with him. He ALMOST bought a .22 semi auto pistol and chose not to because his oppinon was that his revolver won't ever jam and it gets the job done without spending money on a new pistol and it was simple. And I agree. If you have the money to buy mossy oak clothes, a 400 dollar tree stand, a 300 magnum rifle with a 3x64 scope, the by all means do so, but its not going to stop me from thinking ...Deleted by CalHunter.... Then again, its your money, do what you will with it. I hunt in blue jeans, maybe a camo shirt and if its cold a heavy jacket. Something like a polar king or a carhartt jacket. I have an old classice summit viper but I more or less just hunt off the ground or climb a tree and set on a limb. I use a 30-30 because that is well over the fire power I need to kill a deadly deer thats out to get me.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: madboarman

I never said any of it was WRONG, the whole thread was about how rediculas I think things are now days.....

And I agree. If you have the money to buy mossy oak clothes, a 400 dollar tree stand, a 300 magnum rifle with a 3x64 scope, the by all means do so, but its not going to stop me from thinking your a complete idiot...
Now we know how you really feel: if you don't hunt exactly like me, you're an idiot. It's not wrong, it's only ridiculous. Because you know exactly what everyone needs for the type of hunting they do and it's exactly the same as you... But you're not sayingthey're wrong, using things that you don't,you're just saying they'restupid. Oooookeeey dookey. I understand perfectly...not.

By the way, some would say that hunting in blue jeans and a carhart (cotton) jacket is stupid. Not me - I know it depends on the type of weather you encounter. I prefer to be warm and comfortable and quiet when I'm walking through the brush.

I don't have any of the stuff you listed, but what do you think of these reasons for the guy owning that stuff:

Mossy oak jacket: he needed a jacket for hunting because he didn't want his "normal" jacket to get dirty, bloody and smelly. So he bought a jacket just for hunting. He found that many jackets with the features he wanted (synthetic insulation - better for wet), quiet fabric, etc. happen to be made in camo so he bought it. Maybe he bought the jacket for some sort of hunting that really does need good camo - like ducks or turkeys - and uses it for all his hunting.

400 dollar tree stand: Well, I don't know if you can spend $400, but maybe it's the one that he felt was safest and easiest to carry in the tough areas he hunts. Maybe he hunts a different place every day so he needs a portable. Maybe the areas he hunts aren't great for ground hunting or climbing trees?

300 mag rifle. Maybe he can only afford one rifle but hunts more than just white tail deer - maybe he also hunts mulies or elk or moose in wide open country where he needs a longer range cartridge with 30 cal slug? What's wrong with shooting a deer with a 300 mag? Same size hole as your 30-30, just far more versitile.

3X64 scope - you're probably just exagerating here, but see above for the rifle. Maybe he needs a high power scope for his other hunting and just sets it on 3 when he's hunting in the woods near you.

Obviously you have very limited experience in hunting and don't realize that there's legitimate reasons for all this stuff; just because you have never had the need doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

By the way, my gear is closer to yours than your "example" (basic outdoor clothing but very little cotton), a plain jane 30-06, a good Summit stand.), but I hunt with a lot of people who invest in good gear - because they actually have a need for it.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mad,
Is it rediculous to hunt out of a tree stand that is safer that a 2x4 and nails?

Is it rediculous to think that maybe my hunting land is made up heavy brush and getting above the brush to see deer is the only way to hunt?

I don't NEED anything more than a 30-30 (which I own) for the deer i hunt in the area I hunt. but is having another caliber of gun because I enjoy shooting different types of guns a calibersrediculous?

I hunt sitting against a tree also. Killed my first buck that way. Why is it rediculous to try other methods of hunting like using a tree stand?

So you recommend climbing a tree and sitting on a limb while holding a firearm ?(and we are idiots)

come on Mad. Do ya really?

Old 10-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Jeez, my grandpa used to gripe about things the old fashioned way....at his family members and his buddies down at the coffee shop, now today everyone has these new fangled message board thingies.....it is ridiculous.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:10 PM

(from this thread)

....I use a 30-30 because that is well over the fire power I need to kill a deadly deer thats out to get me.
(from another thread http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1239051&mpage=1&key=&#124079 3)
... I bought a 7mm rifel 5 years ago, bought one box of shells. I believe it had 20 rnds in the box. Today, five years later, I sill have the same box of shells. This is after 5 dead bucks and shooting before the season starts to see if my scope is still sighted in. Bottom line, I don't miss and I don't waste shots. Next thing about me is I don't shoot out past 100 yards, and I don't shoot that far anyway. I don't like to shoot that far. Obviously I have the fire power to reach out there but I keep my distances comfortable to me. ...
Sounds like you'relike those damn idiots who use excessive firepower and ridiculously waste money on guns they don't need! Also glad youhave such a humble opinion of yourself.Hope you don't live in a glass house mad!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:21 PM

I have an idea! Why don't we go back in time 50 years and live like your grandfather. OK everyone, are you ready?

Throw away any medicine that was invented in the last 50 years. That includes heart medicine, cancer therapy, newer and better insulin, and every bit of epilepsy medicine! Life will be better then!

Now you have to cancel your cable television, throw away your cell phone, and forget about having a security alarm on your house. I'm sorry to all of you that live in bad neighborhoods.

Now you need to get rid of your microwave, your digital watch, and your favorite space age insulated underwear. Remember, older is better!

Come to think of it, you might as well just kick yourself in the nuts and call it a day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.