HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - rediculas
Thread: rediculas
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 03:49 PM
zekeskar

Default RE: rediculas

ORIGINAL: madboarman

I never said any of it was WRONG, the whole thread was about how rediculas I think things are now days.....

And I agree. If you have the money to buy mossy oak clothes, a 400 dollar tree stand, a 300 magnum rifle with a 3x64 scope, the by all means do so, but its not going to stop me from thinking your a complete idiot...
Now we know how you really feel: if you don't hunt exactly like me, you're an idiot. It's not wrong, it's only ridiculous. Because you know exactly what everyone needs for the type of hunting they do and it's exactly the same as you... But you're not sayingthey're wrong, using things that you don't,you're just saying they'restupid. Oooookeeey dookey. I understand perfectly...not.

By the way, some would say that hunting in blue jeans and a carhart (cotton) jacket is stupid. Not me - I know it depends on the type of weather you encounter. I prefer to be warm and comfortable and quiet when I'm walking through the brush.

I don't have any of the stuff you listed, but what do you think of these reasons for the guy owning that stuff:

Mossy oak jacket: he needed a jacket for hunting because he didn't want his "normal" jacket to get dirty, bloody and smelly. So he bought a jacket just for hunting. He found that many jackets with the features he wanted (synthetic insulation - better for wet), quiet fabric, etc. happen to be made in camo so he bought it. Maybe he bought the jacket for some sort of hunting that really does need good camo - like ducks or turkeys - and uses it for all his hunting.

400 dollar tree stand: Well, I don't know if you can spend $400, but maybe it's the one that he felt was safest and easiest to carry in the tough areas he hunts. Maybe he hunts a different place every day so he needs a portable. Maybe the areas he hunts aren't great for ground hunting or climbing trees?

300 mag rifle. Maybe he can only afford one rifle but hunts more than just white tail deer - maybe he also hunts mulies or elk or moose in wide open country where he needs a longer range cartridge with 30 cal slug? What's wrong with shooting a deer with a 300 mag? Same size hole as your 30-30, just far more versitile.

3X64 scope - you're probably just exagerating here, but see above for the rifle. Maybe he needs a high power scope for his other hunting and just sets it on 3 when he's hunting in the woods near you.

Obviously you have very limited experience in hunting and don't realize that there's legitimate reasons for all this stuff; just because you have never had the need doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

By the way, my gear is closer to yours than your "example" (basic outdoor clothing but very little cotton), a plain jane 30-06, a good Summit stand.), but I hunt with a lot of people who invest in good gear - because they actually have a need for it.