Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stalked Buck

Old 09-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Stalked Buck

Quick question for soem of the pros out there and im sure there are some here.

Lastnight I was sitting in my stand bow huntingwatching 4 does in the field for a little over an hour when they went back in the woods, 10 minutes later, the buck that I have been watching all summer came out of the woods north of me. I grunted at him twice and all he did was look my way and teased me. He walked into a small patch of pines. I knew what he was going to do. So i pulled out of my stand in the southern part of the map below in the corner and walked across the field towards the corn and walked between the corn and woods slowly. (Bucks route in yellow, my route in pink). When I got the spot i figured he was comming out at, I stopped just out of bow range and sure as heck he came out. Notice his route. Im guess by where he walked out at he had to have gone right past my deer blind. [:@]. The buck has been traveling the that road to the north frequently but its not really setup for stands. The area i circled is where I believe he is bedding through out the day. Well anyway, i met the buck at about 40 yards and wasnt going to attempt the shot, I was at full draw. When I let down, he jumped and headed north and then back to west into the woods. Do you think I may have pushed him out of the area. This is the first confrontation we have had since this summer. I have a pic of the buck as well. As you can tell hes very high on one side hes got4 points on the full side and a split brow tine on the otherside. What i was thinking abotu doing is setting up my climber just off the northern access road just insde the woods off the road about 15 yards and see if he will still come through there. Or I was thinking of sitting in my blind and seeing if he will come back through there as well, not sure what my plan should be now. What do you think?

Old 09-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Stalked Buck

Heres the map of buck movement as well as my stand locations, bedding areas, access roads and my movement.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 AM

What a great map ! One can almost go hunting with you online ! Sorry, I will let the experts answer your thoughts though. Thanks for sharing, I am hunting MD in 2 months time.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I THINK THIS EARLY IN THE YEAR HE WILL BE BACK ..BUT I WOULD GIVE IT 4 OR 5 DAYS BEFORE I EASED BACK IN THERE ...

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't give up!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 AM

Give him his space, he will be back.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i may not be an "expert" but i think it would be best not to pressure him at all. hopefully your little confrontation won't affect him or push him out of the area.

btw. that deer has great character there was one like that on our farm a few years ago. sure would love to find one like him.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Dev

It depends. Is the deer young or old. If he's young he's already forgotten. If he's older give him till the weekend. Stick to your blind unless you know something has changed. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I have seen him broadside he seems to have quite a slew in his belly indicating this buck could be anywhere between 3 1/2 years old to 5 years old. Hard telling at times, you can kind of see the slew in the picture i posted.