Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to eastern PA

Old 09-19-2005, 12:28 AM

Default new to eastern PA

i am coming home from iraq to find out the army is moving me to annville Pa, to help with their new stryker brigade. anyways, grew upon the west coast hunting blacktails, and mulies. how is whitetail hunting different than the other deer, besides the distance you shoot and where are some goodplaces in eastern pa to hunt? any info is grealtey appreciated since i ahve never hunted whitetail before
Old 09-19-2005, 02:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: new to eastern PA

Well annville is Like a combo of farms and development. I never hunted that area as it is about 40 miles west of me.Hunting in this area is different then out west.Tons of hunters,the woods can get crowded especially on public land.Best to try and find a local farmer that will let you hunt.Lots of posted land. Being in the military you can get a I think free license and the state always saves doe tags for active military arriving back from overseas.When you arrive I would suggest getting in touch with the local game commission office for the procedure to recieve your licenses. Then put on yourUNIFORM and knock on landowners doors to ask permission. Whitetails are smart and adapt to development ,but basically there same.hard to stalk them in a area that has limited land and lots of posted properties.Most of us set up and ambush them on there trails or food sources. No baiting allowed. And we have Point restrictions in the state.Any help you need just contact me .
Old 09-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

what base are you gonna be on? I know that fort indiantown gap has a lot of good hunting land and I'm pretty sure it's in that area. I know if I can get a permit to hunt there you should as well. As far as hunting whitetail up there it's not too hard. I don't believe there are too many fields planted up there so when we would go we would try to find the trails along the hillsides that are wore down pretty good and sit off of those. This way we could catch them going to and from their bedding areas.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting in this area is different then out west.Tons of hunters,the woods can get crowded especially on public land.Best to try and find a local farmer that will let you hunt.Lots of posted land.
I think Cardeer's description is a pretty accurate one. However, there is alot of public land just a little farther north. There should a nice stretch that runs along the blue mountain just north of Annville. Archery starts in a week and a half and rifle starts the Monday after August. If you hunt small game then there will be plenty of time to do that as well from mid-October on.

Welcome to the area.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You’re going to be about 4 miles west of where I live. It’s to late this year for a permit at the Gap, but as stated above, you have to do some scouting. Many posted farms will allow archery hunters if you ask permission. North on 934 near the Swatara creek is outstanding. I hunt two farms that have some thick fencerows with a few small wooded areas and these are very productive. State Game Lands 156 are in my back yard. Very few hunters in archery season, but in rifle you will think your back in Iraq. A good area on 156 about 1 mile east on 322 from the 322 - 72 split on the left is very good. Most is State Game Lands and during the rut many of the big bucks will cross from Spring Hill to the Cornwall watershed.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:40 AM

PABOW SAYS Archery starts in a week and a half and rifle starts the Monday after August.

IM ONLY PICKING DUDE I KNOW ITS JUST A TYPO

rifle starts the monday after thanksgiving.
and rncp thanks for your service