Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Eastern LI

Old 11-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Spike

Default Eastern LI

Anyone having any luck out there this season?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Eastern LI

none for me yet, WAY WAY WAY to many hunters in the public land spots, if your not competing with other bow hunters, than its the shot gun hunters shooting every 10 mins or its the joggers, or the people walking there dog... hopefully you got private land or you need to get real lucky, i had 4 does come in and a guy with a dog walks by and spooks them.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

I am in Southhampton on private land. Took a doe a few weeks ago and saw a small button buck. Other then that I have not even seen a rub or scrape. Hey Bar of soap, what do you mean the Shotgun hunters? Shotgun season for deer is not until January.

Hve you senn any posted pics of any Big Bucks in Long Island. Do they exist here?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

by shotgun, i mean shot gun small game hunters.
yes i have seen big bucks, i saw a really nice 8 pointer taken on the second week of bow, and on election day i saw the biggest buck i ever seen in real life, it must of been a 140 inch 8 point, both taken on public land, my uncle saw 3 bucks from 9 to 7 points but were out of bow range... if you can find a public land spot thats not over populated with bow/small game hunters than you usally do good. If they can get this big on public land i cant imagine how good you could do on a managed private land area.

do you have room for me and my uncleon your private land?, im tired of dealing with public spots, i had a guy with a shot gun come 10 yards away from me and walk around this little feild i was posted over, than he started to talk to me, he walked away and shot at a bird about 50 yards away from me and i heard the pellets bounce off trees near me.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry, Unfortunately i do not own the lanmd and i was lucky to get permission.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

No no big bucks here but I hear the Catskills are hot with big bucks.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

any buck that gets to 3.5 years old is most likely a decent buck, you just need to not shoot the buttons and young bucks.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:16 AM

Good point ABar, pass on the little bucks so they can grow and focus on the bigger bucks. With that said, sometimes hunters only spend a few days afield, and any buck is a trophy. LI has plenty of deer, even big ones, Ive seen them and all most hit them with my truck, doing 55 with the head lights on and the horn blowing! (Love Ron White!) It's just the older bucks just hunker down and if the hunter didn't do any scounting in Aug & Sept, they reduce the chance of harvesting one. Need to find those thickets, I saw a 7 pointerat my camplast weekend "CRAWLING" through some thickets, but there was no way my arrow would have made it to the boiler room. What a sight though!!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

by shotgun, i mean shot gun small game hunters.
yes i have seen big bucks, i saw a really nice 8 pointer taken on the second week of bow, and on election day i saw the biggest buck i ever seen in real life, it must of been a 140 inch 8 point, both taken on public land, my uncle saw 3 bucks from 9 to 7 points but were out of bow range... if you can find a public land spot thats not over populated with bow/small game hunters than you usally do good. If they can get this big on public land i cant imagine how good you could do on a managed private land area.

do you have room for me and my uncleon your private land?, im tired of dealing with public spots, i had a guy with a shot gun come 10 yards away from me and walk around this little feild i was posted over, than he started to talk to me, he walked away and shot at a bird about 50 yards away from me and i heard the pellets bounce off trees near me.
I thought everything was regulated out east so that everyone has a designated area. I want to try hunting rocky pt or somewhere else but it sounds like there's too many ppl. have you tried the otis pike preserve?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM

otis pike has even more bird hunters as well as horse riders nature walkers