Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It? >

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

Old 08-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

2 quarts 3% H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide, brown bottles, $.98 quart at Walmart)
2 quarts distilled water ($.50 gallon at Walmart)
2 boxes of baking soda ($.50 per boxGrand Total- $3.46 for 1 gallon of scent eliminator, compared to $30 in cabelas... Can you say advertising and lucrative profit?

Mix all in a bucket and stir until soda well dissolved. Let sit for at least two hours, mine sat 2 days. Keep mixing as baking soda falls out of solution and drops to the bottom of the bucket. Only so much will stay dilluted, don' t worry to much about the fall out after it' s sat awhile.

Fill containers (I used the H202 quart bottles and the rest in the gallon jug). Cap. Let sit for 1 week. Use liberally, cause the stuffs so cheap

Here's a homemade scent killer recipe I pulled off the internet at the beginning our last season. I've used it religiously and I haven't heard a snort all year. I was directly downwind at ground level on several occasions and was never winded. I also took my archery deer and can credit this stuff. I had leather boots on and had walked all over the area looking for a tree (first time I hunted that particular tree). I missed this deer on the first shot and it proceeded to circle downwind of me, nose high in the air. He never caught wind and I ended up getting a second shot that took him.

1 gallon distilled water (or clean creek water, just no chlorines or iodines in it)
1/2 box of baking soda
16 oz peroxide
2 shot glasses of Hunters Specialty green liquid soap

Pour out enough water from a gallon jug to get the other stuff in and let it fizz for a while after mixing (about 1 hour or the top will pop off). Then just transfer to a spray bottle and you're set.

128 oz cost about $4.50 vs $8-$10 for 16-32oz of some other fancy kind.

Other guys have tried it as well and say they've had success. I won't hunt without it again.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or you can mix Vanishing Hunter with H.S.specialities Scent away spray, let it sit for a few days..........I swear i had a two does, smell my back pack i left on the ground accidently but managed to spray it down with this mixture, and they didnt even flinch!! Two seperate does, smell the same pack and not bust me! Huh, i am on to something with this one boys!! LOL
Old 08-20-2005, 10:30 AM

I don't think I'd ever try making a homemade scent-killer. Seems like too much room for error. White Lightning is my main piece of hunting equipment.