HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 09:32 AM
TURKEY FAN
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Scent-Killer: Anyone Used It?

2 quarts 3% H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide, brown bottles, $.98 quart at Walmart)
2 quarts distilled water ($.50 gallon at Walmart)
2 boxes of baking soda ($.50 per boxGrand Total- $3.46 for 1 gallon of scent eliminator, compared to $30 in cabelas... Can you say advertising and lucrative profit?

Mix all in a bucket and stir until soda well dissolved. Let sit for at least two hours, mine sat 2 days. Keep mixing as baking soda falls out of solution and drops to the bottom of the bucket. Only so much will stay dilluted, don' t worry to much about the fall out after it' s sat awhile.

Fill containers (I used the H202 quart bottles and the rest in the gallon jug). Cap. Let sit for 1 week. Use liberally, cause the stuffs so cheap

Here's a homemade scent killer recipe I pulled off the internet at the beginning our last season. I've used it religiously and I haven't heard a snort all year. I was directly downwind at ground level on several occasions and was never winded. I also took my archery deer and can credit this stuff. I had leather boots on and had walked all over the area looking for a tree (first time I hunted that particular tree). I missed this deer on the first shot and it proceeded to circle downwind of me, nose high in the air. He never caught wind and I ended up getting a second shot that took him.

1 gallon distilled water (or clean creek water, just no chlorines or iodines in it)
1/2 box of baking soda
16 oz peroxide
2 shot glasses of Hunters Specialty green liquid soap

Pour out enough water from a gallon jug to get the other stuff in and let it fizz for a while after mixing (about 1 hour or the top will pop off). Then just transfer to a spray bottle and you're set.

128 oz cost about $4.50 vs $8-$10 for 16-32oz of some other fancy kind.

Other guys have tried it as well and say they've had success. I won't hunt without it again.