Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting Out

Old 07-28-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Starting Out

Hey guys after watching some TV shows and talking with my uncle I would like to go deer hunting but dont know where to start out. What do ya think can ya give me some pointers.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 PM

Default RE: Starting Out

First thing I would suggest is, if you haven't already done it,is take a hunters safety course. You will learn an awful lot of good info, and in most cases is required if you were not born before a certain year. If you have, good for you. Next, I would suggest reading any and all material you can get your hands on about deer hunting. And then, I would find somebody who can teach you the basics. It is much easier to learn from somebody who has already learnedmistakes, than learning them all yourself. Good luck, and don't be affraid to ask lots of questions.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Longrifle gave you good advice!
Old 07-29-2005, 07:45 AM

your gona need gear to. i dont no where u live or what u hunting seasons are but ill give u my run down of gear. first clothes, i wear a pair of real tree camo coveralls abd a nice hat to keep my head warm. you also might want to have a neck protection because i for one hate cold wind on my neck. i also were a pair of gloves. somtimes though i only where them on my stock hand and leave my trigger hand free of and obstructions that way i dont slip on the trigger. next you need feet protection i dont no where u live but i where boot that cabelas makes that go 12 inches high so i dont roll my anxle out in the feild. i dont suggest wearing tennis shoes. and you can just wear jeans and a tee shirt or sweeter under that clothes. next weapons if u dont already have one. since in iowa i use a shotgun. now where u live u maybe able to use a high powered rifle i dont no. but im sure someone u hunt with or u already have a firearm. next a good pair of binocullars if u are gona be hunting in opens areas. range finders are optionally and not needed.if u plan to stay in the stand all day bring water and some sort of food. thats about all i can tell u on gear.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:21 AM

Check your local library for deer hunting books - then start looking around hunting areas you might use for deer sign.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:54 AM

In MN where i am you cant use rifles but i do have shotguns and i could slip on a slug barrel on it. I would just have to get the deer a little closer.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use the search button 4 this site i say about every thing you can think of has been discussed here
Old 07-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations !
You've made a momentous decision , and the rewards of that decision will carry throughout your life . Hunting is one of the oldest and most noble of all human pursuits , and a very enriching experience . I can only relate my own experiences , but that should give you the bare bones you need to get started . PM if you would liketo discuss personal experiences, otherwise post to the boards and be prepared to absorb a mountain of good info . Be careful what you wish for , here you will get it .