Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Tip or Strategy

Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Default RE: Best Tip or Strategy

Good, great tips I mean! Deer pee does help but not enough
Old 05-27-2005, 07:43 AM

4. Don't rely on gadgets, gimicks, trinkets, and the rest of the nonsence that the hunting industry cashes in on. Nothing beats good old woods savy. It doesn't matter how many f.p.s. your bow shoots if the deer is 10 yards away. And they don't sell anything that can make up for cutting corners. If you want to cut corners, the woods is no place to do it. There is no suit, scent, bomb, soap, spray, or anything else for that matter that can keep you from getting winded if the wind blows from you to it....believe it. And there is nothing in a bottle that is gonna get em running in from miles around....sorry, but most have been had.
:
[/quote]

Amen!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Learn to hunt, learn to shoot, learn when to shoot, learn when not to shoot and learn where to shoot them....Don't just hunt deer....Hunt squirrels with a .22 and scope and just take head shots....hunt groundhogs, coyotes, crows,etc....I hunt almost year round...I grew up hunting...on a farm...was hunting by myself at 8-9 yrs old...was bow hunting with a recurve at 14 and started muzzleloading with a flintlock in 1975....We own 3 farms in eastern NC that are loaded with deer, have to kill 45-50 a year to keep the population in check...I am amazed at the guys we have come in as guests with a brand new deer rifle that have never shot it , I probably sight in a dozen rifles a year...The weapon in your hand doesn't make you a hunter...Even worse than these guys missing a deer, is them wounding them up...If they had started out hunting squirrels with a rifle they would be much better shots....

Other than that...my brother tells us every year after all the preperations are done and its time to get in the stand...its time to "Shut up and Hunt"
Old 05-27-2005, 12:38 PM

Moosehornhunter, said it best !!!! 1. Get in and out without leaving any scent or bumping them. 2. Don't think you have to take home game every time to be sucessful. 3. Learn something while your in the woods.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:12 AM
Typical Buck

I completely agree with #2: Don't think you have to take home game every time to be sucessful.

There have been many times when I could have gotten a deer (buck or doe) and passed or just couldn't get a shot off. And there have been times where I didn't even get a deer in range or see one at all. Either way, I have considered many hunts successful when I did not get a deer because I would see a certain deer take a particular travel route, work the wind, do something I hadn't seen before, etc. etc. I consider a hunt successful when I have learned something new about the query I'm chasing, bottom line.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

I completely agree with #2: Don't think you have to take home game every time to be sucessful.

There have been many times when I could have gotten a deer (buck or doe) and passed or just couldn't get a shot off. And there have been times where I didn't even get a deer in range or see one at all. Either way, I have considered many hunts successful when I did not get a deer because I would see a certain deer take a particular travel route, work the wind, do something I hadn't seen before, etc. etc. I consider a hunt successful when I have learned something new about the query I'm chasing, bottom line.
yeah that too
Old 05-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

Either way, I have considered many hunts successful when I did not get a deer because I would see a certain deer take a particular travel route, work the wind, do something I hadn't seen before, etc. etc. I consider a hunt successful when I have learned something new about the query I'm chasing, bottom line.
Not me. Scouting is the time for learning about the meat I’m after. Hunting is the time for blood trails that end in a gut pile soufflé for my woodland friends and back strap for me and my little pride but, as you know it doesn't always turn out that way.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

I know where you're coming from and I do a lot of scouting too. But sometimes when deer become pressured from hunters they do things a little differently than when you were scouting them.