Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I Need A New Strategy!

Old 11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default I Need A New Strategy!

!$#^*&^!!$$*^&*%%$$!!! whitetail deer! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!

Even though season opened the last day of Sep. here, I've only managed to get out three times so far, and for 2 hours or less at a time. The last two times were to a spot that is new to me. First time there was exploratory, although I didn't have much time at all to explore, so I set my stand in a spot where I could observe the most ground. I knew it wasn't an idea spot for hunting, but at least I could see more and hopefully at least get an idea of the travel route.

As luck would have it, I was set up ON the travel route, but not hidden nearly well enough. Too low (the deer here know to look up), no cover, practically out in the open. Got busted from behind, twice (same deer, I think).

Ok, I think to myself, at least I know there's deer here and I'm on the right track. Went back today, got about 15 yds off the trail, and about 15 yds into the woods. Lots of folliage and limbs below me (leaves haven't nearly all dropped yet), not many holes to shoot through but at least I'm hidden--I thought. Prime time, just before dark, I was sitting perfectly still, busted again. Still didn't see the deer, but it sounded the same when it blew and when it ran off. Sounds like a dang big deer--almost like a horse galloping off (yes, my wife has a horse, I've owned a horse before, and know just what a horse galloping sounds like--I also had a mule at one time). Pretty sure it came in looking up, because this time it sounded more alarmed, and it saw me before I could see it. It was pretty close, but that dang thick cover.........

Hope to go back in the am, but not real sure what to do. Other than the food plot, this is some thick stuff--hunting the trail from the ground isn't feasable. Shoot, it's hard to find a hole to shoot through from a stand, if you can find a tree to climb that isn't wrapped in vines and briars. Hoping that changing the time I go in will help. Going to try to get in even deeper, but might wind up messing up worse. Not sure whether togo in deep, set up on theother side of the trail if I can,or get on the other side of the food plot. Iknow every time I screw up this deer gets smarter.

This is driving me nuts!! Any suggestions?

Chad
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I Need A New Strategy!

Sounds like to have a very educated deer. I'd try to stay away from her travel route.

It sounds like you have to find some cover. Do you only hunt from a climber? Vines and such can make for some decent cover with a ladder or portable. My favorite stands are in pines with branches above and below me. But's it'snot possible to hunt from a climber. Another thing I like to do if possible is set up on the edge of the thickest stuff you can find. Whena deer comes out of it, it's too late.

Just some thoughts.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

hand grenades. [8D]
Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

My luck is holding out-unfortunatly. Went back this am, but by the time I got to the place (not far from the house) I had a peculiar rumbling in my belly. I knew then I better not even think about getting in a tree, but paused long enough to look and think. I saw a spot just off the trail that I *think* I can get in on the ground, but the deer would have to be past me before I could get a shot. Ideal, if the wind is right--it's practically a wall of vines, trees, briars, etc. on two sides (front and left side).

I came back to the house (which prooved to be a very smart move) and planned to go back out this afternoon. I get a call from my brother, and tell him about the misadventure yesterday. He tells me "Don't go back.". I'm thinking he has some kind of idea on how to get this deer, then he follows with "I'm going to take Mason (his son) there Saturday morning". Youth gun season is Saturday--arrgghhh!!! Well, since the property belongs to my brother's buddy, and my brother bought the food plot seed and used his tractor to plant it, there wasn't a lot I could say. Maybe my nephew will get lucky--if not, I should be able to hunt it againnext week.

I have other places to go, but so far this one has shown some promise and one other spot I hunted hasn't. Maybe I should take up quilting.

Chad
Old 11-08-2006, 03:10 PM

Try some cover scents , I use skunk when Am hunting from the ground, I place 4 wads of paper towell in a film canisters in my four corners about 6 feet from me and one above my head.
If you don't like the skunk then I would go with coon scent, deer don't seem to mind neither one I have shot deer this way 5 yrds from me.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I appreciate the advice, but I'm 99.999% sure that scent control wasn't the problem. I use dirt or pine scent (deer here bugger at dang near anything). The deer here, expecially the ones that have made it more than a year or so, are conditioned to look up into the trees--and everywhere else. There's a lot of bow hunters in this area (gobs of gun hunters), so they get smart quick or get eaten.

On a happier note, I took a break from making strings a while ago and rode down to the first spot I went to this season. Food plot looks kinda pitiful, only saw one set of half-way fresh tracks. BUT........I decided to mosey on over to another spot, within short walking distance. I really wasn't planning to hunt there this year, because after spending several hours in a stand there last year I didn't see a thing, and earlier scouting didn't look too promising.

I hunted it a lot last year because there were two oak trees near where three trails converged, and it's a bottleneck of woods between several fields--seems like an ideal spot, if the deer would just read the same books and articles that I have read!

Anyhow, I was looking around and only noticed one trail this year, but it was active--everything else is soaked, but this trail is pretty much walked "dry". Also saw a big pile of fresh doe dumplings smack in the middle of it--when I saw that, I left. Maybe tomorrow...........

Chad
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Try getting lower, less sky lined... I've killed several deer from stands that were from 3-8ft off the ground... I finally learned the hard way to adapt to my surroundings... Sometimes that means 25ft, sometimes 2 ft....
Old 11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That could very well be worth a try! I was pretty low Friday, but no cover to speak of. This next spot seems to have very good cover, if the deer will use the trail. I'll keep trying until something works! If I could only figure out how to make enough money to pay the bills while hunting........

Chad
Old 11-09-2006, 12:30 AM

If you go with quilting, buy one of those machines that do most of the work for you, but you still have to sew the squares yourself...

...did I just say that out loud?

Dave